LAPD Helicopter - In Newport Beach??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDaze

Hi Everyone, this is my first post.

I live next to Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach. I wonder if anyone would know why an LAPD airship would cruise around in the sky in this area. The first occurrence was a few weeks ago, and involved some quite aggressive flying. It flew like it would if a pursuit was below, but there was nothing. Fast, steep turns, and loud passes as low as maybe 100 ft. above my roof. A number of circles around the hospital (which has a helipad, BTW.) It also seemed to concentrate on a area near the border with Huntington Beach, making a number of passes along the coast.

Nothing turned up in the local news. What I think was the same 'copter, LAPD for sure, returned again Monday, passing back and forth over the beach, in an area from the pier to somewhere back toward Huntington, out of my range of view. It also repeatedly circled the hospital again. Not as aggressive that time, but still a fairly low pass or two. This time, I called the NBPD dispatch, and they didn't know anything about it. Well, she SOUNDED sincere.

Then briefly back again today, for a quick pass near the hospital. I've lived here for over 9 years and haven't seen this before. I wonder if it's maybe some kind of inter-agency drill for Homeland Security, like they need to know where all the hospitals are. But a few weeks ago it really acted like it was after someone. The local Newport Beach/Costa Mesa air unit NEVER acts like that, even when something is going on.

Well, that's it. I can post a pic if it will help one of you to figure it out. Anyhow, great Forum and I'm no longer a lurker.

disp10

Premium Subscriber
My wife works at a hospital here in San Diego County. She told me that recently an LAPD helicopter showed up on the helipad at her work to drop off some department brass to visit an officer (poss retired) who was in the hospital there.
She told me that the helicopter circled the hospital for awhile to keep the pad clear for other helicopters.
I don't know if this is a similar situation to what you witnessed, but I think it could be a possibility.

Mikek

Premium Subscriber
There's a lot of strange air traffic above OC these days. I work at Jamboree and MacArthur and today saw what looked like a National Guard Cobra heli flying very low over the Upper Back Bay. Same kind of thing - steep turns, no appearant purpose for being there - and this one was certainly in the controlled airspace of John Wayne. Could be related to your sighting - maybe some movie being filmed? I'd like to see your pic - maybe a check of the N-Number will lead us to what's going on...

RadioDaze

I thought about a movie as well. Maybe they had to do some re-takes. Here's a pic showing the N-number... N221LA - does that sound right? Sorry I didn't have better telephoto.

Attachments

• lapd_air.jpg
    lapd_air.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,026

RadioDaze

Sorry about the small pic. Good thing I have 8 Megapix, or it would be invisible! Very tiny on the full frame. I'm shooting through windows at bad angles. The first time it came over a few weeks ago was the time to tak ethe pic, but it didn't occur to me while I was flippin' out when it was dive-bombing.

N221LA = Eurocopter AS350 B2 registered to City of LA, owner name "LAPD AIR SUPPORT DIV" so it ain't no movie prop! Thanks for the link, Crista.

red8

That's an LAPD chopper all right. I looked at the engine cowling
and saw LAPD markings on it. Aint it nice to be pushing 50 and to be wearing reading glassed?
red8
Please put this man to work? This man is a former law enforcement professional and is need of work. So put this man to work because a descent job is better than picking up cans off the side of the road money. And it beats the hell out looking in trash for food.

landonjensen

RadioDaze said:
I'm thinking about calling the Air Support phone number at LAPD. I wonder if they will be nice, or tell me to mind my own business?

They will probaley be nice, but who knows, i called a police dept to ask them a question once, and they were very cold.

LAPD AIR SUPPPORT
213-485-2600

Mikek said:
There's a lot of strange air traffic above OC these days. I work at Jamboree and MacArthur and today saw what looked like a National Guard Cobra heli flying very low over the Upper Back Bay. Same kind of thing - steep turns, no appearant purpose for being there - and this one was certainly in the controlled airspace of John Wayne. Could be related to your sighting - maybe some movie being filmed? I'd like to see your pic - maybe a check of the N-Number will lead us to what's going on...

Just as a matter of clarity, the US Army and Army National Guard no longer operate any "Cobras". The closest thing they have now is the Apache.

If it indeed was a Cobra, it would have to be the USMC.

Chris

scankid2591

Just as a matter of clarity, the US Army and Army National Guard no longer operate any "Cobras". The closest thing they have now is the Apache.

If it indeed was a Cobra, it would have to be the USMC.

Chris

Out of curiosity... When did they stop operating "Cobras"?

DPD1

The 1st Battalion, 25th Aviation Regiment in Hawaii was the last unit to fly the Cobra I believe... That was in 1999. As stated, the Marines still use the W version, and are actually evaluating the new Z version now, which is pretty cool looking. The Marine ones are gray, but I do believe there's at least one privately owned ex Army Cobra picture aircraft. Watch the beginning of that one Austin Powers movie for it. Then of course there's the CDF fire ones.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
- Custom Scanner, Aviation, MURS, GMRS, Marine & Ham Antennas -

iepoker

LAPD frequently uses it s airships in conjunction with, shall we say, non-patrol oriented operations. Tailing bad guys, surveiling narco buy/busts etc. They use some of the old VHF-High freq's when I have noticed and they pay little regard to jurisdiction.

...or they could be visiting the hospital.

iepoker

Narcotics, OCI and other non-patrol details also have acess to the Astro Divisions resources and they occasionally have to operate outside of their normal boundries.

RadioDaze

Newport Beach has a little-known reputation for certain types of vice activities. I can see how an investigation in LA might have leads that extend into our area. Although there was nothing stealthy about the way the 'copter was flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.