lapd hot shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic9351301

Banned
few questions about hotshots . i listen to it on the feed .
1. its only a one way channel correct ? meaning no field units talk on it .
2. is it like a priorty channel in division radios?
3. how do the feild units in the division the call goes to get the call if its not a priorty channel or sent to mdt? do the rtos send it to the hot shot channel . then to the divison patrol channel. ?
4. or is the hot shot and divison patched for dispatched then dropped after?

medic9351301

Banned
thanks raven but it does not answer the other 3 questtons. i appericate you trying to help .

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
based on the info provided above - seems to me that just the K9 units and aviation units regularly listen to the 'hot shot channel'

hot calls are broadcast simultaneously on the 'hot shot channel' and the 'division channel' by the 'division dispatcher' - a K9 unit and/or a helo acknowledges the call on the 'hot shot channel - and then the division dispatcher deselects the hot shot channel

(in other words your #4 choice is correct)

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Except when it isn't done that way. For the most part (there are no hard and fast rules here) a crime broadcast will go over the Division channel, the Bureau Traffic channel, and channel 26. Depending on the situation, it can also be broadcast on any other Division/Traffic channel as the RTO sees fit. So if there's something happening in Valley, and the RTO thinks West Valley or Foothill, or whoever, needs to hear it, they can select those channels as well.

And keep in mind, the "Division Dispatcher" is probably handling multiple areas.

Mateo_Thomas

Hey there. I understand the basics of how the LAPD hotshot frequency is used for, which from my gathering of reading LAPD HotShot includes:
  • Code 3 calls;
  • Air and K-9 hailing;
  • Backup and help calls;
  • Foot and vehicle pursuits;
  • Code robert, sam and tom requests.

My question is what happens in situations where two RTOs need to broadcast on hotshot at the same time; how exactly does this work? Is there a priority queue, is it a "first come first serve" basis, etc? Obviously, LAPD sometimes deal with many code 3 calls at the same time, so I'm assuming there must be a system that RTOs follow when it comes to broadcasting on this frequency.

Thanks!

KG6GTH

Premium Subscriber
few questions about hotshots . i listen to it on the feed .
1. its only a one way channel correct ? meaning no field units talk on it .
2. is it like a priorty channel in division radios?
3. how do the feild units in the division the call goes to get the call if its not a priorty channel or sent to mdt? do the rtos send it to the hot shot channel . then to the divison patrol channel. ?
4. or is the hot shot and divison patched for dispatched then dropped after?

1:Air / K9 is designed for the Air Units who are flying Citywide, to monitor calls coming out. In addition to K9 Units. Kinda hard to monitor multiple dispatch channels with one or two handheld radios

2: No... Patrol Units do not monitor Air K9 (Typically)

3: Everything is broadcasted on their base channel

4: The dispatcher will select Air K9 in addition to the Base Channel when broadcasting the Hotshot

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
You'll hear bleed over sometimes if there are several hotshot calls at once. Someone will broadcast a call and when it's finished you'll hear another one halfway done. Rule of thumb is to wait until all frequencies are free before multi selecting the group you need to broadcast to but not always possible when it is busy.

Mateo_Thomas

You'll hear bleed over sometimes if there are several hotshot calls at once. Someone will broadcast a call and when it's finished you'll hear another one halfway done. Rule of thumb is to wait until all frequencies are free before multi selecting the group you need to broadcast to but not always possible when it is busy.

Gotcha; thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.