LAPD Layout for Watch (Comm/Supvsr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Does anyone have a list of the layout of basically how the LAPD works?

I mean, I watch Dragnet and Adam-12 and even look at Wikipedia and other sites and thought I knew how the LAPD was laid out, but I've been hearing of "positions" that I've never heard of before.

For example, on Adam-12, they always went to the "Watch Commander"'s office, but then on Dragnet, I heard of a guy called a "Watch Supervisor". What's the real difference, on Adam-12, I never heard of a Supervisor.?

Radio_Lady

RedPenguin said:
Does anyone have a list of the layout of basically how the LAPD works?

I mean, I watch Dragnet and Adam-12 and even look at Wikipedia and other sites and thought I knew how the LAPD was laid out, but I've been hearing of "positions" that I've never heard of before.

For example, on Adam-12, they always went to the "Watch Commander"'s office, but then on Dragnet, I heard of a guy called a "Watch Supervisor". What's the real difference, on Adam-12, I never heard of a Supervisor.?
Keep in mind that Dragnet and Adam-12, though probably the most realistic portrayals of how LAPD hoped to function, were made almost 40 to over 50 years ago. And Wikipedia isn't necessarily a reliable resource for information about anything.

That said, to your specific question, there's no such assignment at LAPD as a "Watch Supervisor," and I don't know that there ever has been. Watch Commander is the title of the person in charge of a specific watch (shift) in a geographic patrol or traffic area/division, or other division. I'm not sure, but LASD may have Watch Supervisor positions, and I know they have (or had) "Watch Deputies." An LASD person on here would have to help you with that.

A "supervisor" refers to a person who is either a field supervisor (usually a sergeant) in a patrol area or traffic division, or a person in general supervision of some other section or unit (generally administrative type offices).

LAPD's organization and rank structure takes up a couple days in the Police Academy, and a couple hours during dispatcher training, but if you have specific questions, I or other folks on here familiar with LAPD can try to answer.

Jimmy252

Premium Subscriber
If you get a chance, watch "LAPD Life on the Beat" on Fox Reality channel. It really teaches you how LAPD work both in the field and during investigations. And its all true as it happens, much like cops, but focused only in LA and has commentary to teach you what is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.