LAPD OVB Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy9545

Premium Subscriber
While listening to Foothill Division, this morning, the dispatcher asked a unit to switch to "old OVB channel 43 new OVB channel 42" The unit acknowledged and presumably made the switch. However, I failed to hear anything on either Ch 42 OVB Tac 1 or Ch 43 OVB Tac 2.

Anyone know if they have swapped/changed frequencies on these Tacs?

FYI - I have a Pro-106 with an outdoor roof antenna and in Foothill Div. I've never had a problem listening to listening to LAPD until now.

Thanks!

Navy9545

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all of you! Scotty, I will give it a try w/o the PL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBH

Try listening to it with out a p.l.. Or searching for a new p.l.. Its possible the are using it as a second additional channel with just a ctcss change...

Let's keep in mind we are speaking of LAPD which runs a P25 digital system, so PL does not apply.

If I had to take a wild guess, LAPD is cleaning up their channel lineup and things are moving around. Although, as a well known individual in the professional radio business used to say, "I could be wrong."

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Yes, 100% connected. Slowly beginning the change.

Radio_Lady

Let's keep in mind we are speaking of LAPD which runs a P25 digital system, so PL does not apply.

If I had to take a wild guess, LAPD is cleaning up their channel lineup and things are moving around.
I would wildly guess the same thing, at least for the tactical channels.

From the few of these messages I have heard, I would listen specifically to the channel names that the operators give, such as "OVB Tac 2," "West Bureau Tac 1," or "Citywide Tac 4," and not worry about frequencies or NAC tones. Scan what you already have. A channel-number pattern will probably develop before too long.

it might be helpful to know what "OVB" stands for.
OVB is Operations Valley Bureau
OCB is Operations Central Bureau
OSB is Operations South Bureau
OWB is Operations West Bureau

The four Bureaus encompass patrol, traffic, detective and other functions specific to their geographic areas, as opposed to citywide and other specialized divisions and offices.

Last edited:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
One Saturday night about 6 weeks ago I remember hearing both 42 OVB Tac 1 on 507.0125
and 43 OVB Tac 2.on 507.2250 while had 996XT running. I remember now because I had not heard these before. That particular night, I think either in December or January, I heard both several times about 2 or 3 AM on early that next Sunday morning. Did not keep a log of it so don't have exact times.
Oh wait, now I am going to check ARC536 log I had running couple of nights ago on LAPD.
Yes, here they are. Listed as "Valley Bureau Tac 1" on 507.0125 with 261 hits and "Valley Bureau Tac 2" on 507.2250 with 123 hits, in about a 12 hour period. RSSIs were 261 and 325 in Cerritos.
The way I log a lot of these more uncommon hits is to turn off all "dispatch channels" and turn off "Hotshots/K9/Air Hail" "Hotshots Rebroadcast" and "Harbor Rebroadcast." That way I get a lot of more uncommon hits. With these above channels on, they really dominate, and it's harder to pick up other stuff.
In fact now I remember, the night I logged the same TACs as OVB Tac 1 and OVB Tac 2 (The alpha tags) also had the above channels turned off.

Steve AA6IO

scottyhetzel

If I had to take a wild guess, LAPD is cleaning up their channel lineup and things are moving around. Although, as a well known individual in the professional radio business used to say, "I could be wrong."

You got me...I meant NAC, the equivalent or basically the same thing.

Radio_Lady

One Saturday night about 6 weeks ago I remember hearing both 42 OVB Tac 1 on 507.0125
and 43 OVB Tac 2.on 507.2250 while had 996XT running. I remember now because I had not heard these before. That particular night, I think either in December or January, I heard both several times about 2 or 3 AM on early that next Sunday morning. Did not keep a log of it so don't have exact times.
Oh wait, now I am going to check ARC536 log I had running couple of nights ago on LAPD.
Yes, here they are. Listed as "Valley Bureau Tac 1" on 507.0125 with 261 hits and "Valley Bureau Tac 2" on 507.2250 with 123 hits, in about a 12 hour period. RSSIs were 261 and 325 in Cerritos.
Those are the channel numbers, channel names and frequencies OVB Tacs 1 and 2 have been using since 2004. In mentioning the RSSI, are you saying that from your location you had never picked them up before? If so, there's a good chance that they were using a different repeater site than usual for those frequencies during those time periods. It's not unusual for LAPD to switch to alternate repeater sites if the normal ones for some frequencies are down for maintenance, upgrading, or repairs. There are several redundant sites around the city for all dispatch and tac frequencies

The same thing goes for dispatch centers. Major upgrades or equipment swap-outs will sometimes require that a center has to be taken offline entirely for hours or even days, in which case all of the PSRs (dispatchers) will be notified to report to the other center for the duration. Both the Metropolitan and Valley Dispatch Centers were designed to handle the entire city on their own, with plenty of consoles and identical equipment. It's transparent to callers, officers, and listeners.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Radio Lady
Not really saying that I never heard them before, just that I was not really aware of it until mention on this specific thread. Never specifically searched for Valley TACs before, bu I'm sure I have heard them in past. However, perhaps I was hearing them from a different repeater site. Was unaware of LAPD alternating repeater sites, the redundant sites, etc. Thank you for the information.
Steve AA6IO

Navy9545

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone! As a newbie, I appreciate your input.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Heard comment on radio that Citywide-1 was now Ch.43 on reprogrammed radios, and 44 on old ones.

So some shifts are taking place.

AdminLaw

I heard units having difficulty logging in yesterday. Apparently, Central Tac one and two (36/37) changed, and the log in procedure has changed. The unit radio log in is now 1 plus the shop number. (The shop number is the large number painted on the roof.)

Status
Not open for further replies.