LAPD Repeater Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else noticed a difference in coverage? Have not been able to hear Devonshire, Foothill or Mission Division from Newhall for a couple of months now. If I go over the hill its fine.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else noticed a difference in coverage? Have not been able to hear Devonshire, Foothill or Mission Division from Newhall for a couple of months now. If I go over the hill its fine.
I'm nowhere "in the vicinity," but are you able to hear Air/K9's 484.350 transmitter? I believe that frequency and the divisions you mention had Oat as their default TX site. But you already knew that. Hearing ANYTHING from LAPD up where you are?

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
I can still hear Air/K9, Topanga, Van Nuys and West Valley

When I was down in the valley on Friday I heard Devonshire, Foothill and Mission just fine but the moment I came back over the hill into Newhall they were silent. Cant help but think they were moved off of Oat.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
I can still hear Air/K9, Topanga, Van Nuys and West Valley

When I was down in the valley on Friday I heard Devonshire, Foothill and Mission just fine but the moment I came back over the hill into Newhall they were silent. Cant help but think they were moved off of Oat.

OK, that sounds like the "other" theory and practice they've used, where divisions on the north side of the Valley, which have areas tucked into northern canyons, use repeaters on the south side of the Valley (e.g. Mt Lee) which can shoot their signals straight up into those canyons. While closer, many of those areas are shadowed too much from Oat Mtn. which is up above them but less LOS.

Likewise, for the south side divisions - Topanga, WVal, VNys, NHwd - the Oat repeater may be preferred, as it can very often better beam the signals into those canyons south of Ventura Blvd up the hill to Mulholland Dr. Many of those locations are virtually dead to signals coming from Mt. Lee, which is practically due east but with lots of ridges in between.

Parts of Foothill are kind of an outlier for either of those sites, especially up on "the rock" (Sunland-Tujunga), but they've got the Verdugo Peak repeater, too. In fact, the "Rock" car, which appears to now be 16A59 - was 16A89 for a thousand years - is in a relatively remote (in LAPD terms, LOL) - area so they've generally been exempt from being dispatched to priority 2 and 3 calls out of their patrol beat, though they can be sent on Priority 1 calls anywhere. That's the idea, anyway, except when things go nuts down the hill.

O/T PS: Good heavens, my long-term memory is obviously in much better shape than my short term (what did have for breakfast today?). My calendar is reminding me that it was 45 years ago this month that I first started working at Communications Division. Sometimes it seems way longer than that, but many memories are as fresh now as the day they happened.

Last edited:

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I can hear Mission Simplex, but Mission Control is still silent.
Interesting all right. Mission's Fallback 484.825 is licensed for a repeater (two actually, WPWJ856 and WPLQ342) at Oat Mtn, in addition to their primary base station at Mission Station and another base station at Valley Bureau Headquarters on Nollan Pl in Paranoia City. Plus a couple in Northeast and Harbor divisions that I imagine were licensed for "just in case" changes or emergencies.

Besides being used as divisional tac frequencies, the Fallback frequencies were intentionally designed to operate completely independent of the primary radio system, in the event of a major failure at the dispatch center(s) or in the radio system itself, requiring calls to be dispatched from the individual stations' Area Command Center consoles. So they should be robust enough to cover pretty much their entire division and a ways beyond. Oat should definitely reach Newhall, but unless you're in a good spot, reaching you from Sepulveda & San Fernando Mission Blvd might be a stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.