LAPD Valley traffic is 26 not 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Not sure why I did not see this until now..

The database is correct in stating that Valley Traffic Division is 23.

The patrol cars belonging to VTD have the number 26 on the trunk. Different meaning.

The identifiers on the radio for VTD are 35----. (35T20, 35MX101, etc).

But the "23" corresponds to the radio channel in their radios.

THISISAMELK

Not sure why I did not see this until now..

The database is correct in stating that Valley Traffic Division is 23.

The patrol cars belonging to VTD have the number 26 on the trunk. Different meaning.

The identifiers on the radio for VTD are 35----. (35T20, 35MX101, etc).

But the "23" corresponds to the radio channel in their radios.
Then why does every other division have 17 or 15 on the trunk and the same on the freq database?

youtube.com/policefirevideos

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Then why does every other division have 17 or 15 on the trunk and the same on the freq database?

Because those are patrol cars. 1-21, the patrol divisions, have tags on their trunks that directly correspond to their division number. North Hollywood, 15, will have "15", for example. Above 21, you have traffic and other specialty units, that don't correspond to their radio channel, with a few exceptions.

22 is the radio channel for West Traffic. Their cars do correspond to their channel, but on the radio their designation is 34_____. 34T10, etc.
23 is the radio channel for Valley Traffic. Cars mostly have 26 on them, radio designators are 35______
24 is the radio channel for Central Traffic. Cars and radio designators are 24_____
25 is the radio channel for South Traffic. Cars and radio designators are 25_____
26 is the radio channel for Hotshots/Air/K9 broadcasts (hailing channel).
27 is the air unit talk-around channel.
28 is a reserved channel, not in use.
29 is the channel for the Security Services division. Their cars and radio identifiers are 36. 36RP__, 36FP__, but as I've shown, doesn't correspond to the channel number. The new reorganized channel plan made for LAPD was created with Security Services in mind, as their old channel was 190. As new vehicles are being rolled, i.e Dodge Chargers, Ford Interceptors/Utility, those are getting the trunk ID of 36, NOT 29. Security Services may be a specialized unit, but these officers still work regular patrol and handle calls in specific areas, but are LAPD officers. So you can look at this as a similar case for Valley Traffic.

There are other unit designators and examples, like K9 etc. Their vehicles either have 26, 41 or are blank. The 26 is just a loaner unit. Its a confusing topic, I can continue to explain it but I'm hopeful you understand that it doesn't always correspond.

THISISAMELK

Thanks for the info! and can you subscribe to my youtune channel for police and fire videos:)

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Because those are patrol cars. 1-21, the patrol divisions, have tags on their trunks that directly correspond to their division number. North Hollywood, 15, will have "15", for example. Above 21, you have traffic and other specialty units, that don't correspond to their radio channel, with a few exceptions.

The geographic Patrol Divisions are # 1 through 22. Don't forget Olympic. :) NOTE CORRECTION by kearthfan101 in next message, #10. He was right and I was wrong{/b]. Now I'd better re-read the rest of what I wrote...

LAPD's been using radios since 1931, but for about the first 70 years they always had more divisions than they had radio frequencies. Because of that they couldn't match the division numbers to the radio channel numbers. Many, and often MOST of the divisions had to be paired up, two to a frequency, and share that channel's dispatcher (Radio Telephone Operator) .

It wasn't until October 2004 that several things all came together. They (a) finally had enough frequency pairs (after getting a bunch of Ch 16 freqs and essentially doubling the number by going to digital); (b) reprogrammed all the Astro Saber IIIs to align the patrol units' channel numbers with their division numbers, (c) had opened the "new" dual dispatch centers to provide enough radio, phone, and auxiliary consoles, and (d) hired and trained enough PSRs to fill all those positions, so on a fully-staffed day every division can have its own RTO. I can only guess that they decided to put the put the four "bureau" (including bureau traffic div) channels immediately after the patrol channels to keep the whole group together in the radios, just as they recently did with the minor fine-tuning of the bureau tac and citywide tac channels

I don't really know about the trunk number issue, since beyond the 22 patrol areas I haven't paid much attention to it. I believe 40 may be Training Division, and I'm pretty sure that 41 is Metro's, on their two dozen or so marked cars, including the K9s assigned to them. Metro's unofficial logo bears "41 and "54" on it, supposedly a reference to their first two significant actions, a shootout with the Black Panthers at 41st & Central in 1969, and another with the SLA in 1974 on 54th west of Compton Avenue

Last edited:

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
The geographic Patrol Divisions are # 1 through 22. Don't forget Olympic. :)

Olympic is 20, not 22.. My original statement was correct..

Mission 19, Olympic 20, Topanga 21, WTD 22, VTD 23, CTD 24, STD 25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Major goof

OMG, how could I have made THAT mistake. You're absolutely right, of course, kearthfan101. I've been away too long. Or getting too old in general.

Thanks for correcting me!

Olympic is 20, not 22.. My original statement was correct..

Mission 19, Olympic 20, Topanga 21, WTD 22, VTD 23, CTD 24, STD 25.

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
OMG, how could I have made THAT mistake. You're absolutely right, of course, kearthfan101. I've been away too long. Or getting too old in general.

Thanks for correcting me!

I would have been shocked if it was intentional! Was looking thru the db & harrymarnell.net to make sure you didn't find the wrong info somewhere before realizing that that IS your website! (Which by the way is a fantastic website, great collection of information).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.