LAPD vs NYPD Listening with online scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

commslistener

Hi all,regular listener to the NYPD SOD and Precincts Channels via the feed on this website.Quite interesting and fascinating.

I recently started listening to the LAPD Feed and would like to ask regarding their transmission modes.

I believe the lapd and the nypd are both using digital communications?The NYPD is a pleasure to listen to and messages can be heard no problem at all,almost like they are analogue?
The LAPD has been very bad to listen to and most messages i couldnt make out,sounded very very poor digital operation.Is this due to the mode that lapd are transmitting with?The digital audio sounds absolutely terrible most times when i listen in,but as i say no problem at all with the nypd feed.

My internet connection is very good.

Appreciate any comments

Commslistener in the UK

W2NJS

AFAIK both of those systems are analog FM. One sounds okay because the feed provider has taken the time and trouble to do a proper interconnect of the scanner's audio to his computer. The other sounds crummy probably because of improper system interconnections. You can bet that when heard directly on a scanner either in California or New York each sounds fine.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,regular listener to the NYPD SOD and Precincts Channels via the feed on this website.Quite interesting and fascinating.

I recently started listening to the LAPD Feed and would like to ask regarding their transmission modes.

I believe the lapd and the nypd are both using digital communications?The NYPD is a pleasure to listen to and messages can be heard no problem at all,almost like they are analogue?
The LAPD has been very bad to listen to and most messages i couldnt make out,sounded very very poor digital operation.Is this due to the mode that lapd are transmitting with?The digital audio sounds absolutely terrible most times when i listen in,but as i say no problem at all with the nypd feed.

My internet connection is very good.

Appreciate any comments

Commslistener in the UK

Have you contacted the feed provider to ascertain the scanner type, location, antenna type and height, etc...?

JoeyC

NYPD is analog
LAPD is digital

They have completely different styles when it comes to their day to day operations on their respective radios.

W2NJS

My bad. For some reason I thought that the 500 mHz LAPD system was still analog. Maybe I was thinking of the FD.

commslistener

NYPD is analog
LAPD is digital...........................

Certainly sounds like that.As i say the nypd sod channels are excellent and i can make them out no problem.
The lapd hotshots channel quality is very poor.Is this maybe due to the number of users listening to it that uses up the quality?
Also how come nypd have still not went digital?Sure this is open to all sorts of problems?Saying that the uk police etc have all went digital quite some time ago and they encrypt as well :( so no chance for us listeners.Digital quality was always talked about when the police first started using the system,with officers saying they sounded like darleks over the radio due to the digitized audio and there was too much of a delay on the radios when contacting control or in emergency!

dovy6

The feeds are all digital from RR to you, so there is no loss of quality no matter how many people are listening.
nypd hasn't gone digital cause it seems at least one person in charge still has his senses and realizes that digital is crap at least when it comes to public safety. Encryption is wrong on so many levels and digital, while it has it's pros doesn't justify the high cost, complexity and sometimes utter uselessness. Why screw with a system that has worked for years if you really aren't gaining anything?!?

WAScanMan

NYPD is analog
LAPD is digital...........................

Certainly sounds like that.As i say the nypd sod channels are excellent and i can make them out no problem.
The lapd hotshots channel quality is very poor.Is this maybe due to the number of users listening to it that uses up the quality?
Also how come nypd have still not went digital?Sure this is open to all sorts of problems?Saying that the uk police etc have all went digital quite some time ago and they encrypt as well :( so no chance for us listeners.Digital quality was always talked about when the police first started using the system,with officers saying they sounded like darleks over the radio due to the digitized audio and there was too much of a delay on the radios when contacting control or in emergency!

Really? Hotshots is one of the more enjoyable (audio quality-wise) feeds IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.