Laptop Crashed, How do i get my WIN 500 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKolo

I bought and paid for WIN 500, It was installed on my laptop with all my frequencies. The laptop crashed and i cant get into WIN500 to put it on another Computer, I sent them a email at the WIN500@starsoft.com address for guidence on how to redownload the software with no responce.
If i could get ahold of someone they could verify i paid for it and guide me......Anyone have ideas ?

Thanks
Gary

al95

I bought and paid for WIN 500, It was installed on my laptop with all my frequencies. The laptop crashed and i cant get into WIN500 to put it on another Computer, I sent them a email at the WIN500@starsoft.com address for guidence on how to redownload the software with no responce.
If i could get ahold of someone they could verify i paid for it and guide me......Anyone have ideas ?

Thanks
Gary

Go to this website:
Win500: PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control
download the software to your another computer, and enter your keys(activation numbers) that was e-mailed to you. You now all set to program your radio. To verify that you paid for the software just check your email you gave them when you brought this software the activation codes should be there. If the another computer have internet access just go to the website listed above and redownload the software.

Last edited:

OCO

I'm not sure what Don may say, but from the terms and conditions that you read before clicking on the Starsoft registration process....

When you register, you will be issued a unique key that will allow Win500 to run past its 30-day trial period. DO NOT LOSE THIS KEY. You will need it any time you wish to install Win500 (new computer, new operating system, computer crash, etc.). We do not re-issue registration keys apart from the initial email.

I'm taking from your last sentence that you don't have the key..It pays to print out those registration key e-mails and file them. You say the laptop crashed - quite often, if it's just a Windows crapout, you can connect the drive on another computer as a secondary drive and recover your files (including your email file).

GKolo

I may have the registration code in my documents on the laptop.
I have no idea how to get it to work, But every fire pic i have taken is in that laptop....how hard is it to dump my files onto a thumb drive for someone that knows what they are doing ?

al95

I have no idea how to get it to work, But every fire pic i have taken is in that laptop....how hard is it to dump my files onto a thumb drive for someone that knows what they are doing ?

Is your laptop working. Will it turn on. And if it can turn on can you open files in your laptop.

Last edited:

OCO

How hard? It depends again on whether you've got a Windows failure or a physical failure of the hard drive. From your responses to this point, I'd suggest that you not do anything yourself, find a PC tech who knows how to recover files - messing around without adequate knowledge of what you're doing can make things really worse, really quick....:(

GKolo

It will turn on and start to boot up then on the black and white screen it says operating system not found.???????????????????????????????

Thayne

Take the drive out and plug it in to a USB interface, plug into another computer & look at the contents--If that won't work the drive probably went totally teats up---

OCO

Take the drive out and plug it in to a USB interface, plug into another computer & look at the contents--If that won't work the drive probably went totally teats up---
Great recommendation to someone who's got the experience .. The time to gain that experience usually isn't when you're trying to recover irreplaceable files (like pictures that haven't been backed up).....

al95

It will turn on and start to boot up then on the black and white screen it says operating system not found.???????????????????????????????

Did you save the e-mail that Win-500 send you in your e-mail program your using example Yahoo, gmail, rocketmail programs. Everything that I buy that use activation keys gets save 3x. One in main harddrive, next in my secondy harddrive and last in my external harddrive. Then I make print out and store them in a safe in case their is ever be a fire in my home. I hope you have it save in your e-mail program.

Last edited:

GKolo

Laptop/software

I checked my email and it wasnt there, I may be screwed on this if its not in the documents in the old laptop.
I think i will try to find someone to down load the hard drive onto a thumb drive today and see if it can be saved ????

Thanks you guys !

W2PMX

It will turn on and start to boot up then on the black and white screen it says operating system not found.
That could be due to some operating system files being corrupted, or it could be due to a drive failure - there's no way to tell without being there.

You probably don't have to pay anyone to USB adapter (I always have a few) and see if the drive was any good. You can probably find someone locally - a hobbyist - who can do that for you. Then you can take all your files off that drive. And if the drive is worth keeping (if it's 30GB it's too small to worry about, if it's a 250 or larger I'd keep it) you can get a $15 case to convert it to an external drive.

martidav

KI7VLV
Premium Subscriber

I usually buy a USB hard drive (HD) enclosure ($20) & install old HD in it or now days just USB to HD adapter ($12). Your pc will see it as any other external drive & assign it a letter.
All this works IF the HD is still readable / has not expirenced file system or boot failures or whatever techs call it. In that case, a shop MAY be able to help.

KB0VWG

Thanks
Gary
Seems like to me the Master Boot Record Failed. This can possibly be fixed and you will keep all your data, I would take it to a tech to have it checked out If you get it fixed please create backups.
Michael
KB0VWG
WQOI992

Status
Not open for further replies.