Laptop Recommendations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty7

I am currently in the market for a new Laptop with which to enjoy my radio hobbies from.
I will be running Win 96, HAM Radio Deluxe, PC ALE and other decoders.
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced,well built Laptop that will accomodate ?
I am not a gamer and do not need to work at home---just going online, and the above.
Oh---and wireless compatable.

Thank you !

Mary

JPasquini

Dell auction laptops

Mary,

If you don't mind a 'somewhat' older machine (1-2 years of prior service), check out Dell's Dell's auction site. One can often pick up a previously leased C-Series laptop (610 or 640) for $350 - $450. Not too long ago, I won an auction for a C610 for just over $300, and it even included a new laptop bag, the floppy drive, removable CD-burner and an internal wireless card! :) Best thing was that the machine was in pristine condition despite having been returned from lease. Of course, YMMV.

While their C-Series is older, it's also a favorite of laptop modders as many of the components are basically user replaceable - and still very much available from several online sources. The C-Series also sports two PC Card slots and a 9-pin serial connector. Only one USB port, however.

Also, check out their DFS site, too, as they also sometimes have decent deals (last week, they had 1Gb laptop workstations at 1/2 off...

Good luck!

Joe

dangitdoug

Be wary of the Dell laptops. They have had problems with overheated batteries exploding. From what I have read the seal on the outer case is not well done and allows moisture into the lithium portion of the interior. This is veddy veddy bad stuff. Make laptop go BOOM!!!

Doug K

jparks29

John McClane
Toshiba is my first choice........

just make sure with ANY laptop that you buy, that you strip out all that extra crap that they load onto it........ and do a clean install with a "fresh" copy of your OS of choice... don't use those "recovery" cd's....

LarrySC

I just got a Toshiba Satellite for programming scanners for the media. I do 3 local TV neworks and 2 traffic watch systems. Works perfect. I bought both cables from R/S one for GRE's and the other for Unidens. I have no issues with this laptop. Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.