laptop/scanner question

Status
Not open for further replies.
a quick question, I'm soon to purchase a laptop who's primary use will be to work with my (also soon to purchase) Uniden or Whistler. I'm going to buy new and likely from big box (Best Buy). Any suggestions on what I need/ should buy is appreciated

Station51

Should be easy

As long as the laptop has a USB port you should be fine.
For example I bought a HOMEPATROL 2 last summer and had
no trouble downloading the software from Uniden and programming the scanner with my 6 year old laptop,
TODAY- I just downloaded the software to my brand new (Best Buy) desktop and work's great.
Radio Reference provides a database update every Monday that you access right from the Uniden software..
Enjoy !!

DJ11DLN

You are likely to have more trouble with driver issues to allow the laptop to connect with the scanner than with the laptop itself, and this spans all newer computers. My trusty HP56 with Windows 7 was stolen last September, causing me to have to get an ASUS X540s with Windows 10. I hate Windows 10 with a smouldering rage and I dislike a long list of things about the laptop itself...but how it works to program my scanners is not on that list. Does a fine job for that and like the one that was lifted, this one came from Walmart and was a mid-range ca. $300 model, nothing fancy.

I program direct to the SD card with some scanners when that's possible and I have some issues with the card reader being recognized...but I suspect that's just because it's an el-cheapo card reader. My old laptop had a native SD slot, this one does not...I guess they thought the space would be better utilized for an HDMI port instead, which BTW I doubt that I'll ever use.:( I imagine a better-quality reader will cure that, i.e. not a computer problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.