Laptop Screen Turns Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laxplurr06

I don't belong to any other computer specific site so I thought I would come here and ask.

I have an IBM think pad t41laptop and the problem I am having is that the laptop screen will turn off with the slightest movement. I have taken the laptop apart and have checked all connections and it worked better after a while but when i have it running for a while the problem comes back. I have also tried it on an external monitor and still no luck it seems to be the video card on this one. I am not sure how to go about fixing this or if this is even the right problem. I am at a dead end here and I think I know more then the average Joe.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jeffrey Eszlari (KB1RCC)

Laxplurr06

I thought of that and I found some dust on the sensors. I don't think its that because I've tried moving it around and the only thing that seems to rest it it turning the computer off then back on.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I haven't noticed any abnormal heat coming from the laptop. My processor gets extremely hot though.

You'll need to actually touch it around the screen when it turns off. Have you tried new drivers for the video card? Have you tried plugging it up to a regular monitor and select that output with a Function key and an "F" key? What OS are you running?

Laxplurr06

I have not tried new drivers. I have tried the monitor and the key to switch to the external monitor. I am running Windows XP Professional.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I have not tried new drivers. I have tried the monitor and the key to switch to the external monitor. I am running Windows XP Professional.

Is the monitor actually off or does the laptop go to sleep? If you turn it off and back on, does it come back up right away? When you try the other monitor, does anything display? Does it turn off with the external monitor too?

Laxplurr06

The external monitor does display but as soon as I move the computer both of the screens turn off and then the external monitor just goes to sleep. The laptop screen turns off. There is no back light that you would usually see when the screen is just black. When I turn the computer off and back on it does turn on right away. It seems like it gets more sensitive to movement when the computer is on for a long period of time.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
The external monitor does display but as soon as I move the computer both of the screens turn off and then the external monitor just goes to sleep. The laptop screen turns off. There is no back light that you would usually see when the screen is just black. When I turn the computer off and back on it does turn on right away. It seems like it gets more sensitive to movement when the computer is on for a long period of time.

I think you were right about something being loose. You may need to take the keyboard out and follow where the cables/wires go from the screen to the motherboard.

Laxplurr06

I guess then i will take every part out again blow the dust off and see if that helps. Then it will be time to get a new laptop if that doesn't work.

Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.