Laptop with no "line in", anyone using USB adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
Was wondering if anyone is using any type of external sound card or device to allow line level input to a laptop with only mic in. I would like to use a laptop for dsd+ and provide line level signal from discriminator tapped scanner.
Looking at the rosewill u-701 device and thought I'd ask if anyone has any advice on it or something else to achieve this goal. I do not want to use mic in. Thanks.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'm not sure why you dont want to use mic in - you would have far less issues if you did. Having said that Rosewill makes decent/good products at a reasonable price. You are introducing complexity to the entire setup, but it could work without issue also. YMMV!

frazpo

You also could just spend $10 on a SDR dongle and take the scanner and the and line in issue out of the equation. Just a suggestion.

moonbounce

My laptop does not have a dedicated line in port, but if you go into the control panel click on sound, click Recording you should see "line in". If not left click, and there should be two options make sure the both have a check mark beside them. If you are running Windows7 and both of these options are checked then you should have line in, and it will be the "mic in" port that you use. Hope that helps.

Moonbounce

ATCTech

To go back to the OP's question, yes I am using a USB sound card on my Windows 7/64 ASUS laptop in the form of the American Audio "Audio Genie II USB Soundcard with Phono Input" for a variety of applications including what you asked about. It works exactly as needed.

rrbum

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for replies and suggestions. I changed sound card drivers on the laptop and lo and behold line in was now an option. When I plug in it asks me if I want mic or line in. DSD+ working very nicely.
I have two dongles and they are cool as hell alright but I prefer the scanner for it's rf filtering and selectivity etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.