Laramie County DB changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Going to try something, so please bear with me...

Going to break up the listing to see if its more user friendly than it is now. Please let me know if you like the new look or want to go back to the old look. This is for the conventional county listing only, and not the trunked information. Laramie County, Wyoming (WY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference It should clean up better when the "just updated" highlighting disappears. CPD and LCSO channels added back as they are still in place and will be used as a WyoLink backup if the need arises.

There is some information for Burns forthcoming as well.

I also placed the WANG and WAFB under the federal listings and made some changes there too (mostly spelling corrections and sorting, no actual information changed). Some organizing of those agencies such as BLM districts will also be coming to break those down to a better location so you can look and "See" where they are. Also updating some geolocation information on the backend for DB/GPS aware scanners to properly load/unload information as needed.

SCPD

QRT
Going to try something, so please bear with me...

Going to break up the listing to see if its more user friendly than it is now. Please let me know if you like the new look or want to go back to the old look. This is for the conventional county listing only, and not the trunked information. Laramie County, Wyoming (WY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference It should clean up better when the "just updated" highlighting disappears. CPD and LCSO channels added back as they are still in place and will be used as a WyoLink backup if the need arises.

There is some information for Burns forthcoming as well.

I also placed the WANG and WAFB under the federal listings and made some changes there too (mostly spelling corrections and sorting, no actual information changed). Some organizing of those agencies such as BLM districts will also be coming to break those down to a better location so you can look and "See" where they are. Also updating some geolocation information on the backend for DB/GPS aware scanners to properly load/unload information as needed.

For some reason the BLM listings for most states appear the same and it is very non-user friendly. U.S. Forest Service listings are shown National Forest by National Forest. The BLM equivalent of the National Forest level is the BLM District. The BLM equivalent of a Forest Service Ranger District is the BLM Field Office. Some National Forests have a radio frequency or a frequency pair for each ranger district or a group of ranger districts, such as the Kaibab National Forest in Arizona where the North Kaibab Ranger District, north of the Grand Canyon, is on one frequency and the remaining two, south of the Grand Canyon is on another. This is not the usual situation, but not uncommon either. I'm not sure if there are any BLM Districts that have field offices on different frequencies, however, if so the statewide mishmash listings for the BLM would become real confusing. Eliminating the confusion involves doing just what you are working on, that is, listing each BLM District separately.

I've made a lot of submissions to the California database for all of the federal land management agencies. The BLM listings there break the districts out. I wish other database administrators would follow our leads on this. Of course a person has to be knowledgeable of the BLM's organization for each state to get the listings organized correctly. I am such a person, but trying to straighten out every state's BLM listings is more time consuming than I have time for right now. I've also come up against a lot of turf protection tendencies with some database administrators so I've given up trying to suggest changes to make the information clearer for the reader. With all due respect, iIt has been my experience that computer savvy people are poor at communicating with non computer savvy people. As someone retired from an occupation that involved the dissemination of a lot of information for the public this is particularly aggravating.

It is pretty simple to find out how the BLM is organized. The BLM's agency wide site has a link for each of their State Offices on the first page. Then each State Office first page has a directory link where the breakdown of each district into field offices is shown. If you have a way of passing this on to other administrators it would be great. I just don't seem to have much influence when it comes to suggesting changes.

My compliments to you for making the effort to make the database more user friendly. We can only hope that it is an infectious disease!

Status
Not open for further replies.