Laredo goes P25 Trunked, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was browsing through the radioreference database recently and noticed something...

does anyone find it ironic that Laredo PD finally switched from a fully-encrypted, completely unmonitorable and untrackable VHF Conventional radio system to a new P25 trunked system that is suddenly very trackable with the use of software tools like Trunker/Unitrunker???

sure the new P25 system appears to cater to the Police Department by employing voice encryption on the Police Dispatch and Patrol channels, but it is now possible to visually track system activity using hobby software. i'm betting someone in the Communications Department is not going to be too happy about this...

the Laredo Police Department has come a long way since when i used to monitor them on a little RatShack crystal scanner back in the 1980's..

paranoia... i swear....

225Texas

Paranoia? There are just something’s that the general public shouldn’t hear. What is the deal with "paranoia" word on this forum? I wouldn't want any VFD or citizens knowing what I'm doing on the Rio! It is not paranoia, it is safety! I love scanners, but I wouldn't want someone (citizen) going after the same load of dope that I am. You have a scanner, I have a scanner, but the coyote and drug traffickers have them too! Bexar County and San Antonio's system is paranoia.

bpckty1

"Bexar County and San Antonio's system is paranoia."

It may be paranoia, but I'm sure it is a justifiable paranoia because of Ft. Sam, Randolph/ Kelly/Lackland AFBs/Sea World and Fiesta Texas, among other reasons. I don't like it, but I can understand it.

JoeyC

muddy mudskipper said:
does anyone find it ironic that Laredo PD finally switched from a fully-encrypted, completely unmonitorable and untrackable VHF Conventional radio system to a new P25 trunked system that is suddenly very trackable with the use of software tools like Trunker/Unitrunker???

paranoia... i swear....

Paranoia? Don't be silly. This is a perfect example of how an agencies decision to encrypt or buy a ProVoice system HAS NOTHING TO DO with preventing scanner listeners from listening to comms.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Fact remains that you can't listen to the voice traffic without a key loaded system programmed radio. Although it has gone from conventional VHF analog to trunked 800 digital, nothing else has changed except more communication channels for all departments using the system. PD still appears to be fully encrypted, and Fire is clear along with other users. I agree with 225Texas and bpckty that there is a reason to encrypt certain if not all law enforcement channels, and ESPECIALLY in the Laredo area. We may not like it, but for officer safety and to protect the integrity of an investigation, they may do anything they see fit to prevent us from listening through system implementation.
Now I would have to say that encrypting fire channels or public works is going just a little too far, but once again, it is their system (i.e. San Antonio). All we can do is complain to their governing body and present valid reasons that we should be allowed to listen.

bpckty1

"Now that is a responsible scanner listener!"

I guess the comsec training I got from the Green Machine many years ago kinda stuck.

But, to paraphrase what I wrote earlier, I understand, but still don't like it.

bpckty1

What I really do not understand is why so much is spent on the fully encrypted TRS systems (especially in places like San Antonio and El Paso) when the sensitive stuff is usually via cell phone (or, Nextel) or face to face.

bpckty1 said:
What I really do not understand is why so much is spent on the fully encrypted TRS systems (especially in places like San Antonio and El Paso) when the sensitive stuff is usually via cell phone (or, Nextel) or face to face.

BINGO.

some people on this board assume LEO's are clueless when it comes to radio communications. they aren't.

most LEO's i've met are paranoid by nature. they know that the public listens to them, even on ProVoice and encrypted systems. yes, encrypted systems. and if it's not the public that's listening, it's the "news".

still, most don't even care, deferring to a cellphone conversation or a face-to-face meeting when more private details at a scene need to be divulged. don't you do the same???

but when an entire agency buys into a shiny new $50 million dollar digital TRS with newfound federal grant money in lieu of a 100% encrypted and untrackable VHF conventional system... well hell, that's pretty funny. especially when i can run trunker against the new TRS and pick out which officer is signing on at what time to his shift. encrypted voice comms or NOT.

so i still say in this case, the Laredo PD has made a less-secure choice in upgrading to a trunked radio system over their old VHF radio system.

mam1081

Feed Provider
On VHF (or any other conventional) P25, I'm almost certain that you can see a radio ID on a true P25 radio even if you don't have the encryption key. This would let you track those users also (although it's a little more tedious).

...and before people comment about having a "real" radio, I was just saying this because of the comment above about people monitoring ProVoice systems and other "un-scanable" stuff. You have to plop down the $$$ to get that high-dollar equipment (even if it is just to see radio IDs :) ).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.