Large Apt Fire - Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechnoDave

Yes, no, well, sort of. Valley Avenue at some points mimick Centerpoint. One building may be in Bham yet the next one may be in Homewood, and then even another may be in the county. Nob Hill is in reality Birmingham. In reading the story in today's paper, there is no mention of Homewood.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
I got about 700 pictures and will post a few as soon as I can get them edited. Homewood was there but they were on Valley helping Birmingham lay their lines. They didn't go into the complex or fight any fire while I was there. Engine 21 was trying so hard to pump the water up the mountain that the heat from the pump melted the pavement on Valley Avenue. They had to go for a pump test today... obviously.

TechnoDave

Engine 21 was trying so hard to pump the water up the mountain that the heat from the pump melted the pavement on Valley Avenue.

WOW!!!!
I heard command asking.... "Are you pumping at full throttle" and they replied "Yes".

Dave if I am not mistaken (and since you were there to see), did they not end up having three trucks pumping water from one truck to the other up the hill?? And what did they mean in the news paper that the terrain prevented the truck companies from getting to the apts?? Was the road too narrow or was it too hilly for them to be able to set up the outriggers?

dave911

Premium Subscriber
WOW!!!!
I heard command asking.... "Are you pumping at full throttle" and they replied "Yes".

Dave if I am not mistaken (and since you were there to see), did they not end up having three trucks pumping water from one truck to the other up the hill?? And what did they mean in the news paper that the terrain prevented the truck companies from getting to the apts?? Was the road too narrow or was it too hilly for them to be able to set up the outriggers?

Well, Dave... I typed out a long explanation with pictures for you but lost it. Basically, yes, they were in-line pumping up the hill from 21. Yes, the road was too narrow to make the turn for the trucks when you have all those cars sticking out. Making it worse, the building on fire was behind another set of apartments. You can see the pictures here: http://www.dave911.com/2008/06/2-alarm-nob-hill-apartments-fire-part-1.html

7, 21 and 15 laid off Valley. 2 laid from the back of the apartments. 15's line went to a portable hydrant (I believe). There were lines everywhere.

They did an awesome job for all they had to deal with.

I wish I hadn't lost all I had typed out. It explained it real well.

Part 2 will be up at Noon tomorrow (Monday)

Status
Not open for further replies.