Large Government Vehicles I-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG7JEV

Premium Subscriber
Recently I've seen a lot of large government trucks going up and down I-25, mostly north of Denver. They are GMC or Chevrolet 5500 4 door cabs, 4x4, with a large box on the back with a spare tire flush mounted into the back. There are no windows on the box that I could see and have double doors on the rear with a step. They have flush mounted LED lights, which I assume to be emergency colored as they weren't on, just a clear lenses aroudn the perimeter. Some trucks dark blue, dark tan, and a few have been black. All of the cabs have dark tinted windows and the driver's all appear to be government "operator" types with ball caps and goatees. The trucks usually travel in groups of 3-5, with smaller dark blue F-350 4 door trucks with fiberglass modules working in the vicinity as well. All the vehicles have quite a few antennas and just plain government plates. No markings or designation on the trucks. Anyone seen these?

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Well, whatever you do, don't attract their attention. If they think you're watching them, you might end up in the concentration camp under DIA.

KG7JEV

Premium Subscriber
I usually see them going northbound, but rarely I've seen them heading south, always north of Denver.

KG7JEV

Premium Subscriber
I looked at the page of plates. They look like like the "2002" format, but I didnt get any numbers off of them.

KG7JEV

Premium Subscriber
Here's my guess...transports for FE Warren between Cheyenne and Weld Co.

I'm doubtful of that. I have friends who work in the field/silos and they have no idea of these trucks I'm talking about.

The FE Warren transport tucks are a lot smaller than these and are the typical f-350s with a cargo topper on the bed. The big trucks I'm talking about are big and guite possibly armored? I've never seen anyone in uniform in them (all i've ever seen is a driver and front passenger, the windows are quite dark). They are definately more special purpose than a standard field transport.

I frequent FE Warren a lot and have never seen these trucks on base, or in Wyoming actually.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Recently I've seen a lot of large government trucks going up and down I-25, mostly north of Denver. They are GMC or Chevrolet 5500 4 door cabs, 4x4, with a large box on the back with a spare tire flush mounted into the back. There are no windows on the box that I could see and have double doors on the rear with a step. They have flush mounted LED lights, which I assume to be emergency colored as they weren't on, just a clear lenses aroudn the perimeter. Some trucks dark blue, dark tan, and a few have been black. All of the cabs have dark tinted windows and the driver's all appear to be government "operator" types with ball caps and goatees. The trucks usually travel in groups of 3-5, with smaller dark blue F-350 4 door trucks with fiberglass modules working in the vicinity as well. All the vehicles have quite a few antennas and just plain government plates. No markings or designation on the trucks. Anyone seen these?

Sounds like our tax dollars are being put to good use.

DocHKusp40

Same trucks spotted

Today I spotted trucks similar to the ones described. I actually found this thread while googling what they might be. There were five of them, they were black, dark blue, and one was a dark earth tone color like dark green/grey mixed with mud, and I saw them heading east on HWY 87 just east of Raton, NM. As someone who has spent some time around Army SF I have never seen trucks like this before and can say that they didn't come from FT Carson.

sargencolo

I too, have seen these vehicles several times. I live near Pueblo, Co. thats sits on I-25 and I have done alot of out of town, but still in region, work. The first ime I spotted these trucks was 2008 in Trinidad, Co, which is south of Pueblo, and once in a while I will spot them in Pueblo. Usually going northbound on I-25, but also parked at stores. Two weeks-ago, I went to Lamar, Co 100+ miles east of Pueblo. While there I saw a similar vehicle which made me comment to a co-worker that I saw such vehicles and then right on cue I saw several of these (maybe 5) as we traveled US Hwy 50. One was parked at a local conveniance store. All moving vehicles were traveling west bound. The link above to AR15.com shows a good picture of what they look like. I know that this thread is old, but if anyone else spots them, or has more info, I for one would like to know. Just really curious. thanks.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
I know *exactly* what those are, just from your description!

datainmotion is almost correct. Don't think entire airframe, think more like partsnpieces and it will come to you.

Look for a tractor trailer with a DOE license plate somewhere around where the other vehicles are, but don't be obvious about it.

surfaceMount

CapStar362

ive seen a few of these in GA, on 75/85/20 going all 4 cardinal directions......

just one difference, the ones in GA were white and blue and only a couple of them were blacked out

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

surfacemount, are you referring to the Department Of Energy Nuclear Emergency Security Teams (DOE NEST)?
rfburns mentioned the US Army 20th Support Command CBRNE (Chemical-Biological-Radiological-Nuclear-Explosive) units, as well.

Last edited:

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
I know *exactly* what those are, just from your description!

datainmotion is almost correct. Don't think entire airframe, think more like partsnpieces and it will come to you.

Look for a tractor trailer with a DOE license plate somewhere around where the other vehicles are, but don't be obvious about it.

surfaceMount

This.
Its armed guards and support vehicles for DOE transports of nuclear warheads typically.
I see them running from the Amarillo Texas area (PanTex) into New Mexico.

If you pay attention like surfacemount said you will see a abnormally short trailer pulled by a standard looking tractor with no decals or any logos of any kind. Also a lot of times will have some sort of speaker box looking thing for talking to people outside of the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.