Large number of listeners on Newark??

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkthing

There always seems to be a least 100 people listening to Newark at all times of the day. I checked at 4am and it was at 147! I know it's a big city, but I find it hard to believe that many people are listening just out of curiosity all day long. Almost makes me wonder if criminals have equipped themselves with 3G phones, heh... though I have a feeling most don't have the brains for that.

scannersnstuff

the funny thing is, i live in eastern monmouth county. about the only way for me to pickup newark's uhf , is on a amateur ht with a uhf antenna, from my backyard. i have absolutely no luck even with a discone mounted to a base scanner. while not a big police listener, i would enjoy listening to them every once in a while. i think i'm blocked by the hills of atlantic highlands.

ansky

the funny thing is, i live in eastern monmouth county. about the only way for me to pickup newark's uhf , is on a amateur ht with a uhf antenna, from my backyard. i have absolutely no luck even with a discone mounted to a base scanner. while not a big police listener, i would enjoy listening to them every once in a while. i think i'm blocked by the hills of atlantic highlands.

I used to live in New Brunswick and couldn't pick up Newark at all, and that's probably closer to Newark than where you're listening from.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure lots of folks around the country know about Newark and the shootings have been all over the news.

There is a reason that Newark has >100 and Sussex County has 0.

Essexscan

I pick up Newark on my VX-7R down to the Rest Area on the Parkway at milepost127 then reception quickly dies off but i can get NOAA 162.550 Upton NY from exit 88 going north on my Motorola HT

hazmatharry

Newark on twitter?

On that note, does anyone listening to Newark post incidents on Twitter? Thanks in advance!

AC2OY

I wouldn't be surprised but does it even matter if they listen or not? They seem to get away with everything and anything in that wonderful city! Didn't you guys( Belleville PO - PO ) catch a Newark knuckle head last week?!

de784

Feed Provider
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As back as far as I can remember Belleville police have always caught Newarks knuckle heads when they crossed the line

pjtnascar

I doubt it's criminals. You have to remember that Newark is a major New Jersey city, and many New Jersey residents have roots in Newark, and they have migrated throughout the state and the country, and still tune in to see what's going on in the old neighborhood. Also, news agencies are likely monitoring Newark frequencies 24/7 because of the amount of crimes, and the possibility of it being the target of a terrorist attack.

AC2OY

Very true I work in the brick city and needles to say on 9/11 we were on heightened alert!!! I wasn't sad to see the Newark police patrolling our perimeters!!!

ReddHead

I listen because of the amount of action. It's also funny because one or two of the dispatchers are very unprofessional on the radio.

blinkthing

I listen because of the amount of action. It's also funny because one or two of the dispatchers are very unprofessional on the radio.

Haha, I definitely noticed the lack professionalism. There's one guy who's done things like leave the mike keyed while listening to voicemail and generally clogging up the already crowded frequency by speaking for too long or just way slower than necessary. Most others get the message across in under ten seconds, this guy rambles on for like 20. It's probably some accent, but he always slurs his words, too. When I first heard him I was astonished that this person could get a job as a dispatcher.

I just realized that the reason so many tune in is that Newark is sort of known for criminality, and it's one of the most populous cities in the state. There's always something interesting (though unfortunate for any victims) going on. This didn't occur to me back when I posted the question.

Last edited:

ReddHead

Listening again today and I cannot believe this dispatcher. He calls everyone "Bro" and he was giving one of the officers his lunch order for McDonald's.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Haha, I definitely noticed the lack professionalism. There's one guy who's done things like leave the mike keyed while listening to voicemail and generally clogging up the already crowded frequency by speaking for too long or just way slower than necessary. Most others get the message across in under ten seconds, this guy rambles on for like 20. It's probably some accent, but he always slurs his words, too. When I first heard him I was astonished that this person could get a job as a dispatcher.

I just realized that the reason so many tune in is that Newark is sort of known for criminality, and it's one of the most populous cities in the state. There's always something interesting (though unfortunate for any victims) going on. This didn't occur to me back when I posted the question.

During the second alarm fire around 10am there was at least one open mic throughout... crazy and dangerous.

AC2OY

Wow that's sooooo funny you said that I thought the same thing there very...let me say it like this it almost sounds like their using their own code...but it is comical!!

AC2OY

Yes I agree he is entertaining I'm thinking civilian dispatcher little or no radio or communication experience probably required? I probably qualify more then he does with BA in communication arts from yesteryear...that s one job I would work for $10.00 a hour but you need to know somebody I'm guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.