Large radio systems no longer monitorable - Time to retire the hobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasoyeom

If a large public system is no longer monitorable is it time to give up the hobby? - Not sure why some think this is not a topic to talk about?

jasoyeom

Why in encryption a no go topic? As soon as you bring it up it gets shut down. I'm not sure why we can't have a conversation about it.

I was just wondering what other people have done when a large public safety system gets encrypted. Have they moved on to SDR's, kept their scanners etc.

jasoyeom

It's happened in the Ontario forum. As soon as I ask about encryption it was closed.

I posted in the Ontario forum asking about OPP and encryption and it was combined with a similar topic and closed off. So again I ask why was that topic closed to new replies? What is wrong with talking about encryption? Perhaps not the whole system will be encrypted just part like MOH and MTO could be in the clear. I'm not trying to start anything negative just trying to have a conversation.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Then what is 'correct'?

You are completely free to discuss encryption all you want. What isn't permitted is discussing encryption AND (not OR) streaming.

I didn't close the Ontario thread, but it appears it was closed due to the topic already being discussed in another thread.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
It's happened in the Ontario forum. As soon as I ask about encryption it was closed.

Evidence of encryption discussions being allowed is this thread...

In which you participated and it's still open to discussion.

pb_lonny

Has been raised and discussed many times, if the main / only reason you have a scanner is to monitor those users and then you can't, either find something else to listen to or sell your scanners...

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of things to monitor besides public safety, in fact i really only do that on the weekends. My preferred genre would be the 450-470 business bands.
Some people like to listen to railroads, some like civil air, some like mil air, some like vhf lo band

There's lot more out there to listen to then "police scanning"

Status
Not open for further replies.