Larkspur JAWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Larkspur: NB I-25 closed MM-175 T/A vehicle vs CDOT snow plow with heavy extrication involved.

O/F 151.115, DTRS, Online

Jim<

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Larkspur U/D: Extrication complete after almost an hour, command would have liked a chopper go but none available due to WX.

Medic-161 transporting code 3 to Swedish.

Jim<

Last edited:

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
LARKSPUR - Northbound lanes of I-25 south of Castle Rock were shut down early Saturday morning after a bread delivery driver rear-ended a CDOT truck.

Emergency responders got the call shortly before 8:00 a.m.

It took firefighters an hour to remove the bread truck driver from his front seat. The driver was taken by ambulance to Swedish Medical Center. His identity was not immediately released.

The trooper at the scene said the driver in the CDOT vehicle was not injured.

According to the trooper, roads were slushy at the time, and visibility was poor. He couldn't say if fog was a factor.

"I don't think he realized how slow the CDOT truck was going," said Trooper Ryan Novotny, Colorado State Patrol.

Loaves of bread and debris were scattered along parts of the highway, while the front end of the vehicle was destroyed so badly, the steering wheel and ignition were completely exposed.

"He pushed him pretty good," said Novotny, referring to the CDOT truck getting hit from behind.

Trooper Novotny estimated the CDOT truck was pushed close to 150 feet.

It was the fourth accident Trooper Novotny had seen on his early morning shift when stormy weather moved through.

Novotny says wet roads can be deceiving for drivers.

"My advice is if it doesn't look bad, it's bad," said Novotny.

He reminds motorists to move cautiously during Colorado's damp weather.

"Until you can see roads are totally dry, keep it at a minimum speed," said Novotny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.