Larsen 150/450/800

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I got mine today(2nd one), but no tuning instructions. I'd like to skew the frequencys down just a hair. No real way to make the antenna longer, just shorter. So I assume this antenna is not made to be tuned?

Tim K.

SAR923

Correct. The antenna doesn't need tuning and trying to adjust it will likely make the SWR worse instead of better (assuming you're asking about transmitting).

timkilbride

Database Admin
From the factory it says 150-165, 450-470, and 806-940. I would have liked to change it to 145-160, 445-465, ect. . . I can live without it changed.

thewenk

Idaho DB Admin
Database Admin
From the factory it says 150-165, 450-470, and 806-940. I would have liked to change it to 145-160, 445-465, ect. . . I can live without it changed.
Try using it the way it is. It will probably work fine at your desired frequencies. They are not that far off the spec. frequencies.

Dave

N5TWB

I have the Antenex version of that antenna and it even receives lowband fairly well so I wouldn't worry about the slight difference you listed in the OP.

KC0QNB

An antenna does not have to be tuned exactly for receive only, I don't know where this myth came from. and an antenna only has to be tuned close to transmit, I can just imagine someone having antennas tuned for every frequency in the two meter band, a 4Mhz band.
I have my 2 meter transmit/receive antennas tuned for 146.000 the center of the band, they work well of 144 and 147, the highest swr is less than 2:1.
Let the flames come, but be prepared to back up your replies with factual data, links to websites perhaps.

rankin39

Seems to me that I saw the Antennex version advertised in 3 slightly different lengths with slightly different coverage. Maybe I was dreaming, but I'm pretty sure I saw it on a website. Check the Antennex site -- I think it was that brand. Don't expect any radical differences in reception though. BTW, I tested this antenna (mine's Larsen) against a variety of other antennas, mostly amateur dual banders, that I have, and the little tri-band is hard to beat for overall performance. I was surprised (and pleased). Bob, WoNXN

N1BHH

Don't touch it, leave it as is, it receives over a much wider range of frequencies. The only reason for "tuning" an antenna is for the transmitter, so it doesn't see a high standing wave ratio. If a transmitter sees 1:1 it is fine, at 3:1 it's not happy. Just use it as is. Mine hears low band nicely. I have a 10 meter ground plane at 25 feet which receives all over the spectrum very well, all the way through. My 75 meter extended zepp makes a nice TV antenna too, it's at 40 feet, lots of capture of signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.