Larsen NMO150/450/800 and a base

Status
Not open for further replies.

riccom

Premium Subscriber
-.- .- -. ... .- ... / -.-. .. - -.-- / -- ---

mrweather

About the only NMO mounts that won't work with Larsen antennas are those from Comet and Diamond. The thread pitch is a little bit off and you will never be able to tighten down the antenna properly.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
About the only NMO mounts that won't work with Larsen antennas are those from Comet and Diamond. The thread pitch is a little bit off and you will never be able to tighten down the antenna properly.

Oh? I have used a Diamond bracket/NMO mount with a Larsen NMO27 just fine.

mrweather

Maybe I'm thinking of Comet antennas not screwing down properly on Larsen (or any other true Motorola) NMO mount.

Alan Applegate K0BG has commented on the incompatibility before.

dnoyeb

I use the Larsen tri-bander with this mount:
Antenex TMB8 [TMB8] - $24.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!

The magnet mount you want is the same thing but on a magnet mount instead of a trunk lip mount. If you're worried about the antenna screwing on to the nmo base then don't worry it will, as long as the mount is labeled NMO and the antenna (which they are) then you're fine.

Best antenna I used so far.

I'm looking to get that same antenna. I am deciding between trunk and magnet mount. When you use the trunk lip mount, are you mounting to the trunk itself, or to the car? Does the antenna move when you open the trunk? Is the trunk still functional without removing the antenna?

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
I have the trunk lip mount of this antenna. The whole antenna moves with the trunk but stays securely mounted. The trunk is 100% functional with the antenna mounted.

Attachments

• PICT0348.jpg
    PICT0348.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 4,023

prcguy

I found some Comet antenna NMO center pins bottom out way too early preventing the antenna from screwing down all the way on a Larsen or Maxrad mount.
prcguy

Maybe I'm thinking of Comet antennas not screwing down properly on Larsen (or any other true Motorola) NMO mount.

Alan Applegate K0BG has commented on the incompatibility before.

dnoyeb

Since I have a 'hatchback' Subaru Forester, I don't think the trunk mount is going to work. Is there a door sill mount? or should I just go for the roof magnetic mount?

mrweather

Companies like Diamond and Comet make hatchback-type mounts. The part the antenna attaches to can be adjusted in multiple directions. The Comet RS-720 comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.