• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Larsen NMO27 reviews? Pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber

K6EEN

See post #4 for what an NMO-27 looks like with a permanent NMO mount on a larger ground plane.
Here's the sweep across the band showing better than 2:1 (though not much better) with 1.73:1 SWR on Channel 19 or 27.195 MHz. Photo of Diamond K400 mount on trunk lip of small car also attached.

Attachments

• NMO27C sweep.png
    NMO27C sweep.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 72
  • NMO27C mounted.jpeg
    NMO27C mounted.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

n0iop

Just got around to installing my NMODC27. I cut the whip for 10m.

The SWR is curiously high. Fender mount on my pickup, not ideal but I carry a canoe on the roof. The 6 meter MLB4700 works fine so I don't think I have a problem with the NMO or the feedline.

Advice welcome. I'm thinking of buying another loading coil but am not sure that will clear up the problem.

(Disregard the red trace as the input wasn't connected to anything but I hadn't shut it off). Here's the trace showing the SWR around 2.48:
dc2700.jpg

Here's the 6m antenna on the same mount. Different scale on the trace, SWR under 1.7 for the band with the minimum SWR around 1.06:

mlb4700.jpg

mrweather

There may not be enough RF ground/counterpoise for 10m but enough for 6m at that mount poition. That might explain the different you're seeing.

n0iop

Thanks. I put in a bunch of bonding braids before figuring out that I hadn't calibrated the VNA properly. I had cut the antenna to the correct length, but the SWR is around 1.3 at resonance, which is close to what I would have expected.

K6EEN

I put in a bunch of bonding braids before figuring out that I hadn't calibrated the VNA properly.
When I added a DC grounding braid between the K-400 trunk lip mount base and a hard point on the car body inside the trunk, my SWR shot up from 1.73:1 to 3:1.
I had cut the antenna to the correct length, but the SWR is around 1.3 at resonance, which is close to what I would have expected.
Don't think you'll get much better than 1.3:1 on a pickup truck front fender bracket mount with this antenna. It was designed to be centered on the steel roof of a 1970s era police sedan with an NMO 3/4 inch hole mount. Once you deviate from the designed mounting configuration, the SWR starts to creep up.

ur20v

The Feds say my name hot like when the oven on
Wait 3 months when none of the infrastructure in the country is being maintained because of quarantine quagmire and CB will be a thing again.

Or 12 months when the sunspot cycle is back on the upswing? :D ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.