Larsen quality decreasing?

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Long time Larsen fan here. (Still am) I'm aware they are under the Pulse umbrella now...but hear me out.

Has anyone noticed a drop in quality? Larsen NMO/PO mobile antennas used to be passed from generation to generation. Electrical specs are still stellar for me on 900, 2m, 70cm and general coverage. But lately I seem to "burn" through my Larsen whips at a faster rate. Black "Kulrod" coatings seem to wear faster therefore exposing the elements to corrosion at a faster rate. The base decals seem to deteriorate quickly compared to earlier models and rod tips seem to disappear within a few months. I still fully believe that the 2/70b is the BEST dual band mobile antenna (incl. out of band rx) there is. My dad's 2/70 seems heavier and still has it's coating after I passed it on to his mobile install, but I'm on my second replacement after 4 years.

My antenna is already chalky/faded while his is still a deep black.

What do ya'll say?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I always had problems with their black coated antennas, going back 30 years. I stopped buying them and just stuck to the chrome whips.

The quality seems the same to me. Things like labels don't concern me. The newer antenna designs are different, but I have not had any issues with them.

I've been trying out EM Wave antennas at work and at home, and I'm liking their stuff. They don't make any ham dual band antennas, though.

PACNWDude

+1 on the black coated antennas flaking off for a long time now. I never had good luck with the black antennas, as the coating would come off very quickly, and look bad the entire time is flaked off. Even on new installs. In my case many users were in the oil industry, and even the bare metal antennas would corrode near oil refineries, transfer stations and chemical plants. As for the decals deteriorating, I actually liked that part, having a plain base instead of a deal or silkscreen logo on the bottom ring. Still an issue of mine for Laird antennas and mounts as well.

As Larson quality has gone down, I went to ward Laird and most recently Stico for mobile antennas. However, the dollar does not go as far as it used to, so most any vendor product is made at a lower cost, maximizing profit at the detriment of quality. I have a Tram GMRs antenna and base on my current car, both have a silkscreened logo that is beginning to fade, and the hardware looks just like the older Larson whip and base, possible made by the same manufacturer, but with a different name?

I now run bare metal Laird antennas, and have gone to Stico as they seem to remain black and coated for a while, as they should at their price point. Discrete antennas are still needed by many, so I will spend more for the black Stico, which has held up so far (about 3 years now).

cpg178

+1 for EM Wave, the X-nut thing where you can remove the whip and not the base for the car wash or very low garage is great

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The chrome (or whatever it's coated with) has been flaking off my Larsen 2/70 whip. What's underneath is turning green.

I'd be concerned if it weren't for the fact that the whip is over 25 years old and has seen a lot of salty winters. :)

Attachments

• 00whip.jpeg
    00whip.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 10

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback!

I too have been looking at EM Wave with Laird mixed in since they have models coving the hammy stuff. I usually run 3-4 antennas on my personal installs. I am just thinking ahead for another new truck/fresh install within 2 years or so.

monitor142

I've been using the EM Wave antennas on my POV. X-Nut to their UHF-7/8/900MHz gizmo as a low-pro antenna for my APX8500. Very happy with their quality. I have the Larsen NMO 150/450/758 tri-band antenna with the spring base but use it for my SDS200 receiver. The base plastic spider web fractured all over and I swapped it with a QW base. I know others have complained about the plastic quality lately. It's on my Tahoe but I'm not hitting trees or running through parking structures around here. Hopefully they (Larsen/Pulse) do an internal review on their processes and correct QA/QC issues.