• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Larsen Tri-band antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Yes, I was talking to their guys about that.
They said there were two "camps", those that loved the tab base, and those that like the spring base.
I've never had a problem with the tab base antennas. I did have issues with the old spring base Motorola 800MHz antennas from the 80's and 90's, my understanding was that those were made for M by Antenex, maybe.

Either way, it was a nice looking antenna. Would be nice to see how it compares with the others.

The PCTEL currently makes the antenna the APX8500 ships with. It's a tab style and not even remotely comparable to Larsen's tab style mounts. PITA, you have to bend it out everytime you re-install the antenna. I've seen several APX8500 PA's less than a month old fail for this exact reason.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Panorama "Trident" antenna which simply looks like an OEM whip when paired with the NMO adapter (~$75 at MSRP). I've had the Sharkee with the dual band whip on my pickup for 3 years now...it's certainly stumped co-workers.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The PCTEL antenna used by Motorola would concern me mounted on top of anything larger than a sedan. With the base not flexible, I'd be really concerned.
Just parking in the garage here in LV this morning, I left my 1/4 wave wideband Larsen VHF whip on my truck. Made some noise, but it's still good.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
The base appears unchanged from the current one.

It is ...Seen it in person with my Larsen sales rep.... much more robust and the spring is pretty stiff but flexible enough for a low garage door or tree branch to give

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The PCTEL antenna used by Motorola would concern me mounted on top of anything larger than a sedan. With the base not flexible, I'd be really concerned.
Just parking in the garage here in LV this morning, I left my 1/4 wave wideband Larsen VHF whip on my truck. Made some noise, but it's still good.

The departments that I’ve installed APX8500s for are not fond of the antenna. What’s worse, Motorola makes a triplexer (it’s actually one of the lower cost options out there) but it still utilizes QMA connector’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Good for scanner users as well! Michigan has been adding 700MHz freqeucies in addition to 800MHz on MPSCS (Michigan Public Safety Communication System).

Thanks for posting. :)
Since we maintain our VHF radios, but use MPSCS for almost all radio traffic, I like this antenna idea for our apparatus. Not having to compromise on roof locations would be nice.

Sent using Tapatalk

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, let's get back to talking about this new Larsen antenna.

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I'm really interested in the performance once it hits the market. UHF is stated to dip into ham 70cm. I can already see a duplexer in my future if this thing performs.

Base kinda resembles an AS(later versions)

tmfok7

A new design…

YII9l4l.jpg

I like the bowl of candy bars next to the antenna. Guess it entices you to come check it out!

clanusb

Any update on when this will be released? Still nothing in the Larsen product catalog/line up on the website.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If they would increase the UHF coverage to include 380-520, then they'd probably sell a lot more. I suppose, I could sweep one to see.

I've been using one of the "scanner" models for years for a transceiver. I got chastised on this forum for doing so, but all of my sweeps were great and it performed very well for what it was.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
380-450 would have very limited applications for the vast majority of LMR users. Maybe government users, though. Very few markets where 420-430MHz can be used by LMR users.

Originally Larsen marketed the NMO-150-450-800 antenna as scanner only and the original specs said it was for RX only.
At some point they changed to showing it for some transmit use. Not sure if they physically changed the antenna, or just changed their mind about the marketing.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Our system alone has a few thousand multi-band mobiles. Our issue with the larger antennas is that they are very stiff, even with the spring. The base itself is the problem as it is very tall and does not flex. We have vehicles come in with the roofs peeled back because they drove under a low lying branch or through a parking garage. The Larsen at least flexes enough to possibly negate the extensive roof damage.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Larsen Tri-band & Tram

I bought a Larsen Tri-band with NMO, using a Tram base with a rubber boot on a 5 inch magnet. This is a beast. I've tried many, but this one has 58U, not 58AU.

Status
Not open for further replies.