Larsen Tri-Band x2

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys, I have a quick question for everyone. I somehow ordered two similar antennas by accident for my new scanner set up at my house. I am just doing a simple ground plane kit using a Larsen tri-band antenna. I ordered one from Antenna Farm:

and a second one from Amazon:

Because I forgot to remove it from my cart on another order.

Both arrived today snd I assumed they would be the same but they aren’t. Both are tri-band, but the Antenna Farm order looks more rugged. The base is all metal, there is a big spring at the base of the whip, and the whip is shorter then on the other one. Or at least it seems that way because of how it’s mounted into the base.

The Amazon one is quite a bit lighter, the base is smaller and feels cheaper. But the whip is longer.

I’m looking at the listing for the Antenna Farm one, it’s says it’s a rugged, water proof, wind proof (to 150mph) and meant for harsh conditions.

It also says performance is compromised slightly to maintain its rugged, small form factor.

If this were you guys, which would you use for permanent mount on a roof? Does it matter? I like the build quality of one, but I’m tempted to use the other because I do t want to sacrifice performance, as a performance increase is the whole reason I am changing my antenna set up.

Thoughts? Thanks!

sallen07

Premium Subscriber

If you go back to The Antenna Farm and look at Mobile Triple Band antennas, the one you bought from Amazon is right under the one you bought from them. But it's cheaper at The Antenna Farm.

For a stationary install, I don't think you really need the spring base. I'm using the one without it.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I don't know what to say- both say the same thing. I have a Larsen Tri-band that I purchased from the Antenna Farm and it has performed flawlessly for many years. Pick one and send the other back.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I have both versions the one with the spring is the NMO150/450/768. Both work great I agree with using the spring version on a vehicle in case you go into a low ceiling parking garage and forget.

Attachments

• 2D1D55A4-9797-42A2-A1AA-D20439B5B1BB.jpeg
    2D1D55A4-9797-42A2-A1AA-D20439B5B1BB.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 31

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
I have both versions the one with the spring is the NMO150/450/768. Both work great I agree with using the spring version on a vehicle in case you go into a low ceiling parking garage and forget.

Thanks for the info. I’m probably not going to install one in the car so I’ll probably either keep for a spare or sell which one I don’t use on here in the forums.

Any noticeable difference in performance between the two? Thanks again!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I’m probably not going to install one in the car so I’ll probably either keep for a spare or sell which one I don’t use on here in the forums.

Any noticeable difference in performance between the two? Thanks again!
Nothing I can think of. Both work about the same, The spring version does slightly better on VHF Aircraft band even though it’s not spec for that.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
The one with the spring is the new model of the antenna. the one without the spring is the early version. Both work well. Many folks would add a spring to the old model. The spring and the better base are rally the only change in the antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.