Larsen Triband Whip swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatertj

I currently have a larsen NMOQB antenna(Larsen NMOQC [NMOQC] - $14.95 : The Antenna Farm :: , Your Two Way Radio Source!). Im starting to think it wasnt a good choice. I bought it for scanning and it was a cheap antenna so i went ahead and got it. Im now wanting to switch to the larsen tri band antenna but i noticed that the bases of these antennas are the same. Could i just swap out the whips if i can find the tri band whip?

Fast1eddie

Certainly! I am presuming you are using a NMO mount (I did not look at your link) then you can swap any antenna whose mount is compatible. I do it all the time. A tip-take a soft rag and give it a shot of WD 40 or similar, then gently wipe the threads. Make certain the center conductor is clean and shiny, use a pencil eraser for that. Do the same for the antenna. Every little bit helps!

Good Signals,

Ed

skatertj

Yes i have a NMO perm. mount through my roof but im wanting to just swap antenna whips if i can find a tri band whip. My current antenna has the Makroblend base and the tri bands base looks like it but idk if they really are the same or not...

prcguy

That's rolling the dice, even though they may look similar there could be a coil or a capacitive component molded in the base that you cant see.
prcguy

Yes i have a NMO perm. mount through my roof but im wanting to just swap antenna whips if i can find a tri band whip. My current antenna has the Makroblend base and the tri bands base looks like it but idk if they really are the same or not...

skatertj

Scanner and i think the current antenna i have, just isnt cutting it. I run to many frequencies between 150-160 and 440-460. Im thinkingh the tri band will do better than a plan whip. I know some website sells the tri band for around $25 bucks but i forgot what website... Anyone know?

ermin

Scanner and i think the current antenna i have, just isnt cutting it. I run to many frequencies between 150-160 and 440-460. Im thinking the tri band will do better than a plan whip. I know some website sells the tri band for around $25 bucks but i forgot what website... Anyone know?

Amateur Electronic Supply
Ham Radio Outlet
Universal Radio
And if you use Google you'll probably find a dozen other places to get it.

ermin

Status
Not open for further replies.