Larson BSA-KIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1cyn

Premium Subscriber
I thinking about setting up an NMO 2/70 mobile antenna that I currently have on a Larson mag mount indoors on a metal filing cabinet onto a Larson BSA-KIT to convert it to an outside base station antenna. I think the KIT is meant to be used with a single band antenna but I see know reason it shouldn't work ok with a dual bander. Has any body tried a conversion with the BSA-KIT? I would like your thoughts on the idea. I probably use rg8x cable for a run of less than 50 ft. I believe the rg8x is used more on low band. Just don't want to use heavy cable for this install. I won't be doing this until the spring. Too cold out there now.

73"s

Joe

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I have one of those and it works great on a Diamond dual band antenna. I should have had one a long time ago. I too am using RG 8X cable just under 50 ft. No problems with it.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
What Larsen BSA-KIT did you get? The one I have can receive from 144-512 MHZ.

That is the only kit available. What it can receive is based on the antenna mounted on it, There may be a little problem with low band since the radials are cut for VHF high band and up.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
What Larsen BSA-KIT did you get? The one I have can receive from 144-512 MHZ.

That is the only kit available. What it can receive is based on the antenna mounted on it, There may be a little problem with low band since the radials are cut for VHF high band and up.

What happens if you use it without the radials? Would you still be able to pick anything up?

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Also would it be able to transmit properly?

Last edited:

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
No. The radials play a crucial role in both transmitting and receiving. Some antennas do not require a groundplane / radials.

Status
Not open for further replies.