LA's Floating Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Named the thread as such so it doesn't attract too much unwanted attention. Most LA residents, especially us scanner/radio enthusiasts, will know that "T-AH 19" pulled into the port in LA today (Friday). I picked up on-board frequencies from this ship a few years back, and they are still active. Only now, scanner technology has evolved to include DMR.

If you're near San Pedro, keep these in your devices if you're interested:

Mototrbo Capacity+
LCN 1 458.225, CC 1
LCN 2 458.325, CC 2
LCN 3 458.425, CC 3
LCN 4 458.525, CC 4
LCN 5 458.625, CC 5

Talkgroups:
205 ET/Comms
209 OPS Security
219 Deck Department
221 Engine Department
228 1MC Announcements? (P.A.)
Unidentified: 202, 206, 207, 208, 212, 214, 222, 223, 224, 225, 231, 253

If you can confirm the name/use of any other TG's or pick up the input frequencies, chime in.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Indeed. They make the most out of that Cap+ system. There are many departments and operations, but since most of the enlisted use their ratings as their callsigns, it makes identifying the use of the channels difficult. I have experience with one ship that used a HYDRA system with only 14 of the 16 channels used on the radios. With Mercy, they seem to have more than 16, so perhaps multiple zones.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Saw in media report that logistics support and security for the ship was being provided by nearly a hundred Marines sent up from Camp Pendelton along with patient transport services by AMR Ambulance.

Anyone nearby might be able to catch the support USMC radio traffic.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
Saw in media report that logistics support and security for the ship was being provided by nearly a hundred Marines sent up from Camp Pendelton along with patient transport services by AMR Ambulance.

Anyone nearby might be able to catch the support USMC radio traffic.
I imagine the marines are using the ship's radios. I did, however, have one experience working on a ship where the marines didn't use the ship's hydra radios, they had their own Mototola XTS2500-equivalent UHF radios on simplex on 457.525, 550, 575, etc. Using P25 and in the clear. These were the same radios they would use while ashore. They were FPP enabled and Q-split (380-470MHz).
In the Mercy's case, it would be more wise for any embarked personnel to just use the ship's Mototrbo system. If it weren't for all the other traffic on the shipboard UHF frequencies, it would be easier to check for any USMC activities. 380-400 MHz might be worth a try also.

Status
Not open for further replies.