Las Vegas recommendations?

gearhead1961

I live in Clark County Nevada and want to get back into scanning. I still have my old BC200XLT and PRO-2006 from the Jurassic period but they are fairly useless since nearly everything here is trunked, digital and/or encrypted. I ordered a BC436HP from Amazon but it isn't exactly user friendly for my older gray cells and eyes. The BCD325P2 looks like it would be a little easier to operate but clearly the programming would be a bit more work.

Looking for recommendations: Considering the Southern Nevada location and my level of maturity, would I be better off keeping this 436 and just learning how to operate it or send it back and give the 325 a try?

Thanks in advance!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
First, as you mentioned, police are full time encrypted according to database (DE in mode column), but appears most else is in the clear.

Second, programming is about the same level of difficulty on both the 436 and 325. However, there are plenty of YouTube videos, and posts in the forums, to help you. If you are stuck on a particular issue there are many people here who will help you.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
The complexity arises in how a trunked radio system works as compared to the old days of a list of frequencies. Which scanner you select will not have much impact.

Load Sentinel on a Windows PC, watch YouTube videos on 436 and Sentinel, and use “add channels on range” to get started building a favorites list.

gearhead1961

Thanks for the feedback. Since the 436 is sitting here on my desk, I guess I might as well keep it and get to work on understanding how it operates. I downloaded Sentinel today and updated both the scanner's firmware and database. I will play with it for a few additional days then get to work on fine tuning the settings, building a favorites list, etc.