Las Vegas SNACC Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Hello Friends,

My wife and I are planning a bit of a getaway to LV next month. We will be staying somewhere on the strip. I plan to program a Unication G5 for monitoring the SNACC system. A couple of questions, if I may...

-- I assume that Las Vegas Fire is still in the clear? If so, can anyone confirm that the Las Vegas Simulcast Site would be the best for the strip area fire talkgroups?

-- Are there other agencies on the SNACC system that are in the clear that are generally interesting to monitor from the area of the strip?

-- Not SNACC related, however I will also have a professional grade VHF radio with me. Any suggestions for good VHF conventional monitoring?

Thank you!

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
We cancelled our 2020 Sept. trip so I haven't been there since 2019. But one thing of note I can help with. The strip is actually in "Paradise", Nevada and the FD covering it is the Clark County FD, not the Las Vegas FD. So make sure you use CCFD talkgroups as your primary ones. And I found Engine 32 to be the most active for the center strip area. It is located inside of City Center. I have noticed that although they were clear last time I was there, you won't hear too much from them, even if you see them come out onto the Blvd. with lights and sirens. At least for EMS calls anyway. I imagine most of the calls are put on Cad or something because I very rarely heard any dispatching of the call even though they were obviously responding to one. EMS TG's are probably the best bet.
For VHF, not too much. Lake Mead and BLM and Hoover Dam, Metro helo freq if still in use, and TSA come to mind, but not much more.

Mike-KC8OWL

SNACC still has some good traffic in the clear. I use my G4 to monitor it generally. Aside from the above mentioned, Henderson is still clear, as is all of KLAS operations. If you really want to enjoy the reality of the lower tier of local society, be sure to program in the RTC talk groups too. :)

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
That you both for the great information!
I had no idea that the strip was actually Paradise, not Las Vegas. I see that Clark County Fire may have four dispatch TG’s (E, W, S and SW). Can you advise which would be the best for the strip area? Does Clark County Fire use the VHF conventional channels any longer?

I assume although out of that area, Las Vegas Fire is also good monitoring?

A bit off topic, but will will be driving over from Southern CA. Can you advise what system or frequencies Nevada Highway Patrol uses for I-15 between the CA border and Las Vegas?

Thanks again!

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
The rural VHF channels just received a significant upgrade for better coverage. Channel 07 and 08 now has repeaters on Gass Peak and Potosi for continuous coverage in the valleys from Primm to Indian Springs, Moapa, and Valley of Fire.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
For VHF, not too much. Lake Mead and BLM and Hoover Dam, Metro helo freq if still in use, and TSA come to mind, but not much more.

Don't forget the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest's Spring Mountains National Recreation Area. They are on 172.2750. Last time I was in the Vegas area in 2018, it seemed as though all law enforcement for the NPS, BLM, USFS and USFWS was being conducted on 172.6000, if my memory serves me correctly.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
As far as monitoring Clark County Fire for the Strip area, can anyone advise which of the dispatch channels cover the strip? I assume it is one or more of these? Thanks again!

2563a03DCCF West Bat2West Dispatch - Battalion 2 Fire Dispatch
2565a05DCCF East Bat3East Dispatch - Battalion 3 Fire Dispatch
2571a0bDCCF South Bat6South Dispatch - Battalion 6 Fire Dispatch

035bdbDCCF SW Bat7Southwest Dispatch - Batallion 7 Fire Dispatch

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I think the interagency law enforcement net for southern Nevada is on 170.6000. My 70 year old brain is not working like it used to!

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I think the interagency law enforcement net for southern Nevada is on 170.6000. My 70 year old brain is not working like it used to!
I have just loaded that up but have doubts any traffic will occur on that freq. We'll see? I will post if anything happens on that freq.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I have just loaded that up but have doubts any traffic will occur on that freq. We'll see? I will post if anything happens on that freq.

I've heard quite a bit of traffic, ten or more years ago, on 172.6000. I had it in my scanner and labeled it something like "BLM National LE Common" or some such. I picked that up from someone who posted it on an Arizona thread. When I heard traffic I noticed right away USFS, BLM and NPS LEO's were using it. I don't recall what dispatch IDed as. I did a search on this subject and found some threads that indicated people were hearing this type of traffic on 170.6000. Dispatch is provided by Lake Mead NRA in Boulder City according to these more recent posts. I also remember some people mentioning that this dispatch facility also provides service for Great Basin NP and night service for the Colorado River District of the Arizona BLM.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I've heard quite a bit of traffic, ten or more years ago, on 172.6000. I had it in my scanner and labeled it something like "BLM National LE Common" or some such. I picked that up from someone who posted it on an Arizona thread. When I heard traffic I noticed right away USFS, BLM and NPS LEO's were using it. I don't recall what dispatch IDed as. I did a search on this subject and found some threads that indicated people were hearing this type of traffic on 170.6000. Dispatch is provided by Lake Mead NRA in Boulder City according to these more recent posts. I also remember some people mentioning that this dispatch facility also provides service for Great Basin NP and night service for the Colorado River District of the Arizona BLM.
170.05 is Lake Meade Rangers. So far today 170.6 has produced a strange buzzing sound. Not like digital or dmr. My Digital scanner doesn't decode anything from it.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
In Southern Nevada, 170.6000 is a repeater frequency with an input of 164.7000 and different input NAC codes depending upon site being used.
Channel 1 is on Redrock, channel 2 is on Potosi, and channel 3 is on Hayford. These channels are programmed in a Zone of channels entitled "Combined Southern Nevada Fire & Law Enforcement". It can be heard in some parts of Northwestern AZ.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
In Southern Nevada, 170.6000 is a repeater frequency with an input of 164.7000 and different input NAC codes depending upon site being used.
Channel 1 is on Redrock, channel 2 is on Potosi, and channel 3 is on Hayford. These channels are programmed in a Zone of channels entitled "Combined Southern Nevada Fire & Law Enforcement". It can be heard in some parts of Northwestern AZ.
Ok that's actually making more sense to me now I looked at my programming and found 170.6 NAC 3E8 that must be one of the sites? I entered the input and set another search item for NAC search to try and find the other two. Thanks for the info AZmonitor!

Last edited:

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
The NAC of 3E8 is what each site will transmit, but there is a different NAC for each site's input frequency.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
The NAC of 3E8 is what each site will transmit, but there is a different NAC for each site's input frequency.
Ok so I should find them on 164.7 or does each site have a different input freq? In the past few minutes I have 408/445/455 reports of some guy yelling at people with a machette.

Last edited:

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Each site uses the same input frequency but only a different NAC to open up the repeater.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Ok so I should find them on 164.7 or does each site have a different input freq? In the past few minutes I have 408/445/455 reports of some guy yelling at people with a machette.
I don't miss the big city environment and all of its problems, crime, traffic, air pollution to some degree, high housing costs, houses constructed too close to one another, etc.

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
I don't miss the big city environment and all of its problems, crime, traffic, air pollution to some degree, high housing costs, houses constructed too close to one another, etc.

Off topic, so I won't post a long one. I left a megalopolis in 1973, moved to a town with 20,000 people and 10,000 university students and that seemed small at the time. Then I moved to 2 towns of 650-700 people in somewhat remote areas and a stint of not living in a town, rather at a ranger station with a fair sized government housing compound. Now I'm back in a big city of 7,500 people and have been here nearly 30 years. I completely agree with you. The nearest large city is Carson City at 140 miles and Reno at 165, but we don't go there as much as we used to. I think I've become allergic. Housing cost is high though, I live in a resort town with a lot of second home purchasing from big city buyers. The locals can't afford housing. I used the overtime and hazard pay I made in the 1987 northern California fire bust and Yellowstone in 1988 to put down a large enough down payment to be able to afford the monthly mortgage. We can't afford to buy something a little nicer though.

The locals can, on occasion, commit crimes, however the people traveling through on a major U.S. highway commit the worst. The people from big cities can be incredibly rude, camp in areas prohibited to such, not put out campfires, even those lit when fires are not allowed and are increasingly sloppy. This all while the U.S. Forest Service, BLM and National Park Service have the fewest number of employees, especially in law enforcement, in about 25 years. The numbers of visitors has risen exponentially in that time. Fire management is well staffed as the National Fire Plan of 2000 showed that without spending money on fire now, costs will be much higher in the future. Now if we could start paying all employees, especially those in fire and law enforcement, the agencies might be able to retain people, which is a huge problem now. People can make more money working for state and local agencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.