Lasd dispatch and deputy linking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldporras

If I want to listen to the dispatch from Compton and the deputies in Compton calling in incidents. What frequency are need to combined them to hear both sides of the transmission the beeping is annoying. I looked through this section of the forum and maybe im not understanding it correctly. Im all ears.

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
You could listen to the input frequency, but you'd only hear nearby units that the radio you are using can pick up without the aid of a repeater. It is also worth noting that when deputies "call-in" major incidents, dispatch enables "the patch" which disables the beeping and allows all traffic to pass through the repeater on the dispatch channel; thus allowing the deputy making the crime broadcast to be heard. This is also true for major incidents requiring unit-to-unit communication. Also check out your local L-Tac channel(s), which is where unit-to-unit and unit-to-desk communication often happens. Personally, when I am scanning, I monitor the Dispatch, L-Tac, and A-Tac channels relevant to my area.

Hope this helps. Happy scanning ^-^

PaulNDaOC

Car mobile radios are usually left on L-Tac and the portable on dispatch so you need to be very close by or have a professional grade receiver in order to pick up anything that is not within a quarter of a mile.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
> dispatch enables "the patch" which disables the beeping and allows all traffic to pass through the repeater on the dispatch channel

I am guessing that this has been discussed for years, however would anyone know why the LASO does not leave the patch on all the time, instead of using the annoying beeps? I would think that the deputies would not even be a fan of the constant beeps instead of hearing the other units.

xilix

Premium Subscriber
... would anyone know why the LASO does not leave the patch on all the time, instead of using the annoying beeps? I would think that the deputies would not even be a fan of the constant beeps instead of hearing the other units.

You're right, this has been discussed for several years. To sum up some of the discussion:

1. During overnight/slow periods, the same dispatcher may be handling incidents for multiple, often disparate areas. Usually (but not always) when this is done, a high-priority incident is dispatched as "Attn Lancaster Units...459 in progress, 12345 Lake Avenue", etc. The mobiles never give their location (as in station name) so repeating them may cause confusion if a deputy joins the conversation late. In the example above, "Lake Ave" could also be in Altadena.

2. It's the way they've always done it. I think this is the real answer. I remember the beeps from back in the 39 Mhz days, so they're definitely not new.

As a side note, I've spoken to deputies over the years and asked if the beeping ever gets annoying. Most of them told me they just tune it out.

jrholm

The busy tone, that's what the beeps are called, are actually very nice. As a deputy working the street i could totally disregard the beeps, instead of trying to determine if somethiing may or may not be relevant to what I was doing.

avascan522

Premium Subscriber
I remember in a previous forum, someone was discussing the time that SCC enabled the patch on a "full-time" status, and it nearly crashed their system, or something to that effect. Perhaps at this point, the system really wasn't designed for it.

PaulNDaOC

I remember in a previous forum, someone was discussing the time that SCC enabled the patch on a "full-time" status, and it nearly crashed their system, or something to that effect. Perhaps at this point, the system really wasn't designed for it.
CAD, the voters, microwave and the frequency assignment matrix are more than 30 years old. The bases would get swapped out when they fail but essentially it's the same system that was built in the 80's with the radios coming first, then CAD and MDT in 1990. It's unheard most anyplace else.

f40ph

Feed Provider

Good recap from 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.