Lasd - Lafd - Bhpd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaKrisht

Hey Everyone,

Newbie here with a few questions:

I'd like to monitor my local LASD transmissions (I live off Sunset BLVD in the West Hollywood Hills, so radio waves come in nicely).

Currently, I've programmed LASD Dispatch 1 (483.36250) and LASD L-Tac 1 (483.91250) based on the frequencies available on RadioReference.com. I have heard dispatch but no cars yet? Why could this be?

Also, in the Radio Reference charts (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=38) should I also program the "INPUT" frequency directly to the right of the "Frequency"?

Just a little confused here and would appreciate some help.

I have a BC92XLT so I can fit 20 channels in each bank. Bank 1 is my LASD bank while Bank 2 is my Air bank.

Some suggestions for programming my LASD Bank with the proper frequencies would be great!

Also, some LAFD Fire Suggestions would be great too for Hollywood / West Hollywood area.

Thanks in advance everyone.

DaKrisht

Not one reply?

Why can't I hear the units speaking to dispatch?

Anyone?

Any LAFD suggestions?

Eng74

Check the database for all of the LAFD also you might want to put in L.A. County Fire since They cover West Hollywood down by House of Blues. Don't put in the input frequencies, that is the ones that go into the repeater so that is why you only get half the story.

monitor142

Actually, LASD runs their dispatch channel half-duplex during normal operations. They may patch or repeat the mobile traffic during an emergency incident....so if I were you, I'd consider programming the mobile input channels in addition to the base channels. They will need to be close to hear them off the handheld. L-Tac, C-Tac, A-Tac channels are always repeated.

As far as LAFD, look in the database for LAFD's channels. A very simple 800MHz repeated conventional system.

Brian in OC

DaKrisht

Thanks everyone.

However, still a little unclear.

I've programmed LASD Dispatch 2 (both frequencies) and LASD L-Tac 1 (both frequencies)

My scanner holds 20 channels in each bank, but I don't want to hear every single transmission from multiple areas. Just my area.

Let's try this:

If you had 20 Channels to fill up for LASD transmissions - WHAT would you program them to be? (no need for specifics, just general ideas would be GREAT!!!)

THANKS AGAIN...

jrholm

If your in the West Hollywood area I would program in;

Disp 2 (WHD) 483.3625
L-Tac 1 (WHD/LHS) 483.9125
I think A-Tac-1 483.0875 (but you may want to monitor when they have something big what tac channel the rto tells them to go to routinely, I believ they have A-Tac-1 but I could be wrong)

Dips 35 (TSB {AKA bus cops}) 483.3125
their L-tac is 483.0625

Maybe a couple of C-tac's, SUDS, and ABD (aero buerau disp)

DaKrisht

Thanks jrholm!

Right now: love triangle gone bad, one suspect on the run, two other suspects at location (one with small cuts on his arm) about four cars searching for him. Paramedics en-route to scene. Chopper in the air (heard him once only).

Dispatch on 483.3625
About 5 cars on 486.9125

DaKrisht

Another quick "Q"

Who else communicates with Dispatch 2 (W. Hollywood) in addition the L-Tac-1 (W. Hollywood) ?

I understand that one LASD dispatch (i.e. W. Hollywood) handles multiple tactical units.

For you SoCal guys out there, what do you like to listen to in terms of LASD?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jrholm

DaKrisht, I recently posted a rather lengthy explanation of LASD dispatch procedures here:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108297

I hope that should answer a lot of questions you might have. As to good listening, you can't go wrong with the Region II stations especially Century (Disp. 4 at 483.2625) and Compton/Carson (Disp 9 at 484.1625). I also recommend Lennox/Marina (Disp 12 at 483.4375).

jrholm

Oh one more thing; W. Hollywood has their own dispatch channel but you will hear other stations the thread I posted above will explain the why. Their L-Tac is shared with Lost Hills/Malibu units.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Laafca

I've searched all the ususal places, the Wiki, the glossary in the Wiki and even Google; but the definition for this acronym is no where to be found. I know it must be Los Angeles .. Fire .... ?

What does LAAFCA stand for?

Thanks.

DaKrisht

Thanks, jrholm. Very interesting read.

To just get clarify a few things: for example, Century dispatch units would report on L-Tac-9 (Century)?
BUT you would have to be kind of close to hear the individual units, yes or no?

I've also noticed that some of the INPUT frequencies, particularly the W. Hollywood input work in my area. (I have a birds eye view of the W. Hollywood station where I believe they broadcast from).

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but C-Tac-1, 2, 3 and Tac-1, 2, 3, 4 are ALL county-wide and you can hear deputies no matter your location, correct?

I've gotten both sides of the story a few times in W. Hollywood and that is what scanning is all about, just hearing dispatch and then beeps nonstop is frustrating! ;) Dispatch sometimes says "L-Tac" but she doesn't specify which one???

DaKrisht

Thanks, jrholm. Very interesting read.

To just get clarify a few things: for example, Century dispatch units would report on L-Tac-9 (Century)?
BUT you would have to be kind of close to hear the individual units, yes or no?

ANSWERED THIS MYSELF - Century dispatch and Century L-Tac frequencies communicated with each other tonight, I got both sides.

I've gotten both sides of the story a few times in W. Hollywood and that is what scanning is all about, just hearing dispatch and then beeps nonstop is frustrating! ;) Dispatch sometimes says "L-Tac" but she doesn't specify which one???

To add: Tonight I heard "Air 23 L-Tac" and then "261 are you on L-Tac" --- but they don't specify which one?

I'm learning, I'm learning, its a lot of fun!

Thanks!

jrholm

For L-Tac they would be the matching L-Tac (local tactical) for that station. In other words if somebody told 263 (a Palmdale car) to go to L-tac he would switch to Palmdale's L-Tac (L-Tac 11). The specific L-Tac wouldn't be mentioned unless it was an unusual situation such as having a station car going to TSB's L-Tac which is something that has happened a time or two. But usually once you involve more than one station your going into area tac time (A-tac) or even county wide (C-Tac).

Your listening to various freq's will vary as they are usually only repeated in those areas of the county necessary for that freq. In other words WHD will be heard in that area but if you went up to Lancaster with your scanner you would probably have a harder time hearing WHD. The A-Tac's will cover a slightly larger area but are not county wide. The C-Tac's are supposed to be county wide but to be honest even on the dept's radios the reception has never been that great.......

PaulNDaOC

If West Hollywood goes to an A-TAC they use A-TAC2 which covers the westside. If A-Tac is busy then they would go to a C-Tac or Mutual Aid or Star-tac.
As far as hearing the input, you will usually need to be fairly close as most units use their portables when talking to SCC, even if they are in the car and leave the car radio on L-Tac.
The more you listen, the better the ear gets and the more you will understand, and if you listen a lot, you will find you subconsiously even will ignore transmissions from areas of the county your not interested in.
For a different perspective go on a ride-along. I never had a dull night in West Hollywood when I worked for the department.

Status
Not open for further replies.