LASD Remove "Busy Tone" effective June 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

allend

Premium Subscriber
There you go. The final answer has been spoken from the horses mouth.

END TO END. This is new normal in Southern California now and forever.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Here is the phone number if you want to get the answer for LA-RICS

Wendy Stallworth-Tait
Executive Assistant to the Executive Director
P: (323) 881-8311

PaulNDaOC

The current 480 system LASD uses in analog mode performs poorly in a lot of the Angeles Forest, which was to the extent that about 20 yrs ago the put Satellite radios in a couple of the mountain cars for use as a trial.

Digital encryptian will never work if LA-RICS is filling in coverage with a tower at your local fire station.or courthouse.

How will that perform up at East Fork or Francisquito Cyn where the mobile radio is lucky to get through.in many places.

If the mountains start to burn fire will have VHF, but what will LASD have when its crunch time other than a lot of dropped transmissions.

allend

Premium Subscriber
The current 480 system LASD uses in analog mode performs poorly in a lot of the Angeles Forest, which was to the extent that about 20 yrs ago the put Satellite radios in a couple of the mountain cars for use as a trial.

Digital encryptian will never work if LA-RICS is filling in coverage with a tower at your local fire station.or courthouse.

How will that perform up at East Fork or Francisquito Cyn where the mobile radio is lucky to get through.in many places.

If the mountains start to burn fire will have VHF, but what will LASD have when its crunch time other than a lot of dropped transmissions.

When you move from an analog signal to a digital signal and compress it and want the same quality that you had before it's just not going to happen no matter how you want the electromagnetic wave to perform. Sometimes you cant force electricity in the air to do what you want it do in the topography in Socal. Plus you already have so much interference thru cellular and business and all sorts of wireless technology and so on crowding up the airspace above us. Plus you have so much line of site Microwave in the air.

Then you want to add more technology onto of what you are trying to accomplish and its going to be horrible. In The County of Orange The City of Westminister just switched from XTS3000 radios to the new APX 6000 radios and they are having major problems with their radios.

What going to boil over is that The County of Los Angeles surrounds so many other counties and multiple cities. We are not talking about a small city locking down a tactical channel. We are talking about END to END through out the County of Los Angeles. Plus you have multiple cities and counties that monitor The County of Los Angeles including the Media. Common Sense should prevail but when it comes to technology Executive Directors and higher ups making these decisions just don't get it. They are not technical people. They never look at the bigger picture. When there is an "Action" there will be a "Reaction". That is a proven fact we life with on a daily basis.

We are treading thru rough waters and where the breaking points hits we just do not know right now

Last edited:

shawn1899

As for forest coverage they are playing with usfs and installing numerous sites in the mountains to provide coverage that both sheriff, fire and usfs can use. Fyi

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Station51

I wonder how the sheriffs communicate daily? Normally they can only talk to the dispatcher, the neighboring deputies will hear the beep tone. Let's say if they both stepped out of the vehicle and they need to have radio contact with each other, they switch to TAC channel but wouldn't that mean they both leave the dispatch channel altogether?

I've been in Norwalk and heard deputies talking simplex to one another on the dispatch channel.

As for the busy tone, I'll probably MISS it lol.. That tone is a part of listening to LASD.
I too found it annoying 30 years ago, but now I kind of like it
It would be GREAT if they would go FULL Duplex and replace the busy tone with the actual unit transmission as they do during a "patch".

PaulNDaOC

I have to give the guys at ISD credit for keeping the LASD radio system in good working condition for close to 30 years.

Even more amazing is the CAD is still performing great for being 27 or 28 yrs old. Thats unheard of. .

Most agencies get a new CAD about every 10 yrs.

JohnOldridge

LASD

So according to this post, I can start listening to the LASD Dispatch channels again and NOT hear those annoying beeps? Instead I will hear the conversation between the dispatcher and the units themselves?

PaulNDaOC

As for forest coverage they are playing with usfs and installing numerous sites in the mountains to provide coverage that both sheriff, fire and usfs can use. Fyi

LASD already has about a dozen sites that cover ANF, and it's still got huge gaps. If RICS is using USFS facilities to place tower sites its a recent addition.

LASD has towers on 480 at Oat,,,Whitaker..Mt McDill,,Frost Peak, Luken, Mt Dissapointment,,Verdugo,,Sunset,,Johnstone,,

Bald Mtn Burnt Peak Magic Mtn,,off the top of my head.

UHF does not work as well in that terrain as USFS experiences with their VHF analog.

I strongly feel that after hearing how the feds dole out Homeland Security funds to localities, that there is an incentive for localities to get the feds to pay for new radio systems, rather than out of their general fund, while Washington lawmakers think theirproviding for a safer tomorrow agains terrorism.

Last edited:

shawn1899

Not using usfs facilities, sites yet but when completed there will be sites at usfs repeater sites and the coverage will be better then the current 480 coverage

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
This is all good stuff to discuss and talk about but lets just hope there is going to be good stuff to listen too.

The last new system that was built out in Socal a couple of years ago was PSEC and we saw the direction of that system when it went live.

PaulNDaOC

I'm hoping that LASD will leave some dispatch channels in the clear to accomodate outside agencies as I have seen in other areas when a p25 system goes online for a few years til everybody plays catch up.

Another option is get cozy with a media outlet. LASD loves good press and I would bet a weeks pay recognized media organizations (sorry bloggers) will be accomodated, and perhaps stringers,, as is the case in Orange County.

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
Emailed several sources over at LA-RICS this past week including this week so far with no response from anybody about answer to LASO switching over to the new system soon.

Wanted to ask some very important questions that need to be answered to us tax payers and the community.

I will report back if any responses comeback with a solid answer. But most likely we will the get the fluff answer. Most likely they will either not answer back or tread lightly on the answers we are looking for as a community since its important to the general public and for tax payers that are concerned.

jrholm

The drop of the busy tone is more because of an outside sheriff than LA-RICS. A specific requirement for that system was that it be able to host the busy tone.

SCPD

QRT
Honestly it was a good system back in the day but officers need to hear both ends of the traffic. Just my comment on it. NMSP for longest time did not repeat or have the input in equipment so units would only hear dispatch. This has changed now.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Really sad to see it go if it actually does permanently. Great system and worked wonderfully. Allowed dispatchers to control their board and deal with varied situations.

I imagine us old timers will miss it more than the younger set.

jrholm

I don't understand your comment...can you please give us a little more info.? Thank you

The current Sheriff did not come up through LASD. He spent most of his career with LAPD and was the chief for Long Beach. He dosen't see a need for the busy tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.