LASD Remove "Busy Tone" effective June 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulNDaOC

Here is a bit of history that points to why the busy tone was thought up in the first place. In the 70's and prior when LASD was on 39 mhzthe FCC only allowed emergency traffic repeated on VHF Low. When there was emergency traffic, then the repeater mode could be enabled. Not sure why it was carried over to the 480 other than for continuation of habit.

That also is why CHP did not go to repeated traffic until some time later when the FCC changed the rule

jrholm

Here is a bit of history that points to why the busy tone was thought up in the first place. In the 70's and prior when LASD was on 39 mhzthe FCC only allowed emergency traffic repeated on VHF Low. When there was emergency traffic, then the repeater mode could be enabled. Not sure why it was carried over to the 480 other than for continuation of habit.

That also is why CHP did not go to repeated traffic until some time later when the FCC changed the rule

How I was told was because the way stations get picked up and dropped from the consoles along with similiar call signs from various stations it prevented confusion for field units, ie was that 173, 73, or 273 that needed assistance. Interesting of note is the directive about this upcoming trial asks us to start using our station along with the call sign when broadcasting. In other words, Norwalk 43k1 10-34 for a plate, or Temple 55 10-38 with 1. Instead of just the call sign. Well it is the Sheriff's Dept. so he gets what he wants.

d119

Welcome to the 20th century, LASD... Yes, I said that correctly. I'd almost wager they don't keep it this way.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
How I was told was because the way stations get picked up and dropped from the consoles along with similiar call signs from various stations it prevented confusion for field units, ie was that 173, 73, or 273 that needed assistance. Interesting of note is the directive about this upcoming trial asks us to start using our station along with the call sign when broadcasting. In other words, Norwalk 43k1 10-34 for a plate, or Temple 55 10-38 with 1. Instead of just the call sign. Well it is the Sheriff's Dept. so he gets what he wants.

I thought the busy tone was the cool thing about the LASO system. Back when I listened/lived/PD dispatched in Anaheim 26 years ago.

Now soon to be encrypted. I'd be an unhappy listener if I still lived there.

PaulNDaOC

Welcome to the 20th century, LASD... Yes, I said that correctly. I'd almost wager they don't keep it this way.

I'm not sure if I would call the LASD system dated. It's more than just a busy tone. LAPD and LASD are of a similar size and scope.

The LASD system allows for local control of units (especially important to contract cities big and small), while allowing radio dispatchers at SCC to co-ordination of multiple resources in emergency situations, such as aero, cross jurisdiction pursuits etc...

Not many agencies that have contract cities have the local station directly in control of what their units are handling with priority while having first-hand knowledge of locations that they cover.

ki6qfi

Premium Subscriber
The busy tone was just turned back on no more than 10 seconds before posting this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Evaluation suspended for "technical issues"

Evaluation postponed until further.

2wayfreq

Even if the tones are removed, are they keeping it Half-Duplex? Meaning, you will still only hear the dispatcher and not the field units until they "Patch"?

ki6qfi

Premium Subscriber
When the busy tone is not there you hear everything. Dispatch and units in the field.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

PaulNDaOC

During the test, dispatch channels remained full-duplex, All incoming radio traffic on a given dispatch console was patched together so a listener would hear all radio traffic regardless of frequency instead of the busy tone.

If there was emergency traffic there would be no need to activate the patch since that function was on 24/7.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Back to the technical drawing board for Motorola. Its was fun while it lasted for a few days

dgower

Premium Subscriber
And there were a lot that liked it, or did not care one way or another. Don't get too used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.