lasd "self dispatch" mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty909

Has anyone herd lasd go into self dispatch mode? And if so why does scc do that? What causes that, is it that there computers crashed or routine updates? Any info is helpful also during the process all dispatch frequencies become "clear channels" as if the patch was active yet no traffic is broadcasted from scc

drsn0w

What exactly do you mean by self dispatch mode?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

kearthfan101

Premium Subscriber
Self dispatch means the individual stations broadcast the radio calls. Hence no "patch".

matty909

Well scc put out that they "will be in self dispatch mode until further notice" i herd no communications from scc nor on the dispatch frequencies. All the stations were dispatching on L-tac from the desk i have never herd of this before and found nothing on Google. It seemed very odd to me after a hour or so they went back to normal operations

drsn0w

Interesting. Wish I could have been listening in

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Has anyone herd lasd go into self dispatch mode? And if so why does scc do that? What causes that, is it that there computers crashed or routine updates? Any info is helpful also during the process all dispatch frequencies become "clear channels" as if the patch was active yet no traffic is broadcasted from scc

It's quite common, actually. Sometimes the system crashes; other times, the system needs updating. There's a variety of reasons SCC may not be online.

All Sheriff's stations have a "desk". it's where 911 calls are received and entered; local traffic is managed; etc. All desks have a "Watch Deputy", who manages the civilian dispatchers, deputies on desk duty, etc. Data flows from the desk, to SCC, which is in East L.A. SCC voices the calls, and handles the dispatch channels. On the LTAC channels, you can hear units talking to the "desk", or "David". For example, "Fifty David" is Temple's "desk".

When SCC goes down for whatever reason, dispatch duties fall to the stations, or the "desk". During those times, you hear no tone.

Self-dispatching happens every other month or so. Sometimes it's planned; other times, it's out of the blue. But it's not exactly uncommon.

PaulNDaOC

Any time LASD goes on self-dispatch the techs on the hill flip a switch for each channel that takes it from a duplex channel to repeated. The same could be done for any tac-channel turning it into one with the busy tone. This was done with the current TSB freq. No biggie here, just a flip of the switch.

This mode occurs routinely once a month when the CAD programmer loads upgrades into the system which is 26 years old now and runs great, all things considered. CAD is tied call takers and dispatchers at every patrol station. It has performed like a champ.

Self dispatch enables that stations to dispatch their own calls which when on paper is much quicker that relaying it to SCC. This mode is used occasionally when the system crashes or if their is any disruption to routine operations where stations can put out their calls in a much quick manner.

In the recent event I believe there was a wide-spread disruption with the functioning of the MDT system, and the inability to receive calls, so self-dispatch mode was in effect til rectified.

Status
Not open for further replies.