Laser jammer in South Jordan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7YUO

This morning at 9:25 I caught this interesting conversation on SJord PD Car 21728:
"When I checked that Acura, all the thing reads is HELP." "Does it work ok on other cars?" "Yeah, it works fine on all cars except that Acura. When I check it, all the thing does is read help." "Maybe he has a laser jammer." "You should have stopped him to see if he really needed help!" "I did follow him, but he was going the speed limit, and there was no PC (Probable Cause) for a stop."

No further details, just a humorous situation with our law enforcement folks.

k7kop

Premium Subscriber
When mine says HELP it means my battery is about to die.

lndshrk

What scares me is that you have a LEO running traffic who ostensibly passed training on the LIDAR gun he is using and he doesn't know a JAM CODE versus Low Battery or Malfunction indication.

Depending on the gun being used: E04, E07, JA1 thru JA3 are indication of possible jamming.

I would say "whoa - I can't believe it" - but it is one of the Jordans - and they didn't get the reputation of
being called (West/South) Jerkton for nothing.

DickH

This morning at 9:25 I caught this interesting conversation on SJord PD Car 21728:
"When I checked that Acura, all the thing reads is HELP." "Does it work ok on other cars?" "Yeah, it works fine on all cars except that Acura. When I check it, all the thing does is read help." "Maybe he has a laser jammer." "You should have stopped him to see if he really needed help!" "I did follow him, but he was going the speed limit, and there was no PC (Probable Cause) for a stop." ...

This may be of interest.

114680073.jpg

lndshrk

Actually, to understand 47 USC 605, you also have to read chapter 119 of Title 18 USC.

Specifically 18 USC 2511 - and more specifically 18 USC 2511(2)(g)

From there we'll leave it up to the lawyers - who would argue endlessly up to SCOTUS as to which law
overrules or supersedes the other.

In part,. it says..

"by any governmental, law enforcement, civil defense, private land mobile, or public safety communications system, including police and fire, readily accessible to the general public"

So intercepting the police (unencrypted) is "authorized" by Title 18 USC chapter 119.

Ergo 47 USC 605 doesn't apply per the first 11 words in same.

Status
Not open for further replies.