Latest N9JIG Radio Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Here is my latest shack arrangement. I got a few new toys (early Christmas presents to myself) and set things up as a Radio Wall.

I got smart last weekend when I rearranged things; I placed the radios where I wanted them and tried a couple different arrangements, then mounted the Stridsbergs strategically for the best access. I then took a picture of the layout and wrote down the arrangements.

I decided what radios were to be connected to which multicoupler or discrete antenna and then ran the antenna cables. I then did the same for the power cables and other cables (such as computer cables and audio links). This allowed me to route the wires without the radios present and made access much easier.

Radio Close-up:
1.jpg

Top Shelf top row:
CD-1 (BC780) Cimarron MDC Decoder (BC780) CD-1 (PRO164), 2 BC785

Upper Shelf bottom row:
BC780, PSR600, PRO164, 2 PRO2096

Center Shelf:
4 Uniden BC15’s

Under Center shelf:
Motorola CDM1250 VHF, Alinco DR-635 Dual Band, Motorola CDM1250 UHF

Lower Shelf:
MFJ Bencher paddle, CD-1 Tone Decoder (R8500), AOR ARD25 APCO 25 decoder (R7000) Opto DC440 decoder (R7000), 3 desk mics

Desktop:
Kenwood TS-440S-AT, Icom R8500, Icom R7000

Most are powered from an Astron PS-50A power supply.

2.jpg

Handhelds on ScannerStand and shelves:
PRO106
PRO96
PRO43
PRO83
BC330
Kenwood THF6A
Alinco DJ-C7
RS Freq Counter

Not seen are 3 Stridsberg multicouplers feeding all of the receivers. Antennas are all located in the attic and include various discones, wire HF and scanner antennas.

Not shown (In other rooms or the car):
2 more BC15’s
BCD396T
2 BCD996T
Another PRO83
2 more BC780’s
BC796D
2 Plectron R720’s
Kenwood TMD700A

3.jpg

Computers include an iMac 24 inch, with second 23 inch monitor used as the main operational computer.

Dell P-4 3.0 GHz . with a Samsung 24 inch widescreen monitor, used mostly for radio programming, PRO96Com and fire tone decoding.

Also sharing the Samsung monitor is an old Dell Win98/DOS machine used mostly for Trunker.

Laptops shown include:
Fujitsu LiteBook (mostly used for Pro96Com when traveling and radio programming in cars)
MacBook Pro (Main mobile computer and used around the house)
Dell Inspiron, used mostly for secondary use and presentations (built like a brick outhouse…)

Also shown are a couple dozen of my 1/200 scale model airliners, some die-cast, some plastic. Models include:

Boeing 707, 727, 737 (2), 747, 757, 767, 787
Douglas, McDonnel Douglas DC-3, DC-8, DC-9, MD-11
Airbus A319, A330, A340, A380
L1049, Concorde, BAC111, ATR72, CV440, VC25, C-130, TU-134A, ATL-98

protias

Premium Subscriber
*picks up jaw from the floor*

Impressive wouldn't even come close to describe that setup. ;)

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
This is the Best Shack of 2008 in my opinion!!!! Which radios are new? Looks great Rich

Ron

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
This is the Best Shack of 2008 in my opinion!!!! Which radios are new? Looks great Rich

Ron

The PRO106, PSR600 and R7000 are new. I got the R7000 and accessories from another RR dude, it is the 6th one I have had in the last 20 years, I keep selling them and then buying them again...

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Install Synergy on all 4 of those computers and consolidate down to 1 keyboard and mouse.

I've always enjoyed your shack setups.

Coming from someone who is jealous of your setup, I guess I'd say..... what I beat you with in style you make up with in sheer numbers of radios. ;)

wise871

Database Admin
As always Rich, very nice setup. I was wondering what happen to your 996's until I read further down in your post.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Also, I meant to ask - how do you handle audio in your shack? Many of those mobile's speakers are on the bottom of the radio... right?

I don't do anything with external speakers for the most part, by adjusting the volume controls I can pretty much figure out what is coming from where.

Several of the radios are rarely active with audio anyway. The Pro2096's are mostly used as data radios for Pro96Com or Trunker, the 785's are used as second radio for audio. The BC15's are mostly used for Fire Tone Out, one is occasionally set as a CloseCall receiver.

I did use external speakers for a while but it got confusing since the audio didn't originate from the radio itself, so my finely tuned ears (after 30 some odd years of monitoring and talking on radios) were not pointing the right direction.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Install Synergy on all 4 of those computers and consolidate down to 1 keyboard and mouse.

I've always enjoyed your shack setups.

Coming from someone who is jealous of your setup, I guess I'd say..... what I beat you with in style you make up with in sheer numbers of radios. ;)

I was thinking of that or a KVM, maybe soon....

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Looks great, Rich, and a few of those items look strangely familiar. :D

Question: What are you using for the desktop that supports the monitors? Is that an actual piece of furniture or is it shelving as well?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Looks great, Rich, and a few of those items look strangely familiar. :D

Question: What are you using for the desktop that supports the monitors? Is that an actual piece of furniture or is it shelving as well?

Thought you would recognize some of this...

The shelving and desktops are "Elfa" brand from The Container Store. While Menards and Home Depot sell similar (and cheaper) stuff, the Elfa is more durable and stronger.

The whole system is ingenious in it's simplicity: You mount a steel bracket on the ceiling joist and then hang the vertical supports from that. The shelf and desktops rest on brackets clipped on the verticals. If you want to rearrange things (like I do often) you just move it all around. The only things physically joined is the joist brackets, all the rest hang off that so you don't drill into the walls.

It is strong enough for me to stand on (6'4", 250 lbs or so), and I used to have a 21 inch CRT monitor that weighed about half a ton in a prior set-up on it.

The desktops are 1 inch thick pressed board with a laminate finish. The shelves are 3/4 inch thick of the same materials and the steel verticals, joist brackets and shelf brackets are coated with a hard white laminate.

Elfa makes matching file cabinets and accessories, some of it gets pretty pricey though. When we first installed it we used 6 desktops, about 40 or 45 individual shelves, 60 or so shelf brackets, 18 desktop brackers, 6 joist brackets and 36 lag screws. The whole thing cost about $1200 and took a Saturday afternoon to install.

The only problem I have had with this stuff is after we bought an ionic air cleaner it casued the laminated finishes to get filthy dirty. I guess it reversed the polarity of the finishes and attracted the dirt. I had to scrub the crud off it when we moved things around and saw the discolorization. I found a mixture of diluted GooGone and water worked real well.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Rich N9JIG

If you think Rich's radio's and his installs are cool, then you gotta meet Rich. I would say without hesitation that he is without any doubt one of the smartest guys I know as far as radio and communications, both with the hobby and professionally. I am honored to be a personal friend, and enjoy his company at the CARMA bi-monthly meetings and Friday Nighter's. If Rich doesn't know the frequency, scheme, or technology right off the top of his head, he'll have it for you in record time. He is an asset to everything relating to radio, police, fire, ems, aviation, railroads, automotive and traffic issues, highways, the State of Illinois and several surrounding states. Plus I already know that he's a great dad, husband, son, and brother without even having to speak to the rest of his family. RICH - YOU DA MAN!

Attachments

• N9JIG1.JPG
    N9JIG1.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 9,329
Status
Not open for further replies.