Latest Sherwood Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
I still don't understand why they construct the table using only one parameter...

Third-Order Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced

They should give each parameter a weighting in order of importance and add up the total. The No.1 Flex doesn't have a particularly low noise floor, there are many that are better, etc etc. My old favourite NRD 515 is waaay down the list, but it still has excellent low noise and sensitivity performance that would knock a lot of the higher graded receivers off their perch. :)

prcguy

When you get to a certain level of performance, receiver noise floor doesn't matter as the atmospheric noise will be a lot higher when an antenna is connected. Same with sensitivity, a receiver can measure very sensitive on test equipment but that gets lost when an antenna is connected, unless the antenna is a 3ft clip lead.

Close spaced dynamic range is the money shot (pardon the pun) when it comes to receiver performance, you have to spend a lot of money or lots of engineering brain power to get good numbers there. This is also what makes or breaks a radio for serious contesting in crowded bands with high power SW stations all around.

Many years ago it took serious preselection, high level mixers with LOs running up to 1 watt, multiple conversion schemes and other tricks of the trade to achieve really good performance. Now there is more knowledge on using roofing filters, novel mixer technology and DSP to enhance receiver performance at less cost to the consumer.

When receivers rate well on the close spaced dynamic range area they are usually quieter due to the receiver not creating lots of IMD internally which raises the noise floor when an antenna is connected due to lots of high level signals spanking the 1st mixer. Once you get used to a radio that ranks high on Rob's list its hard to go back to a receiver that's low on the list, they just seem too annoying and fatiguing to listen for any length of time.

Not everyone needs ultimate performance but its nice to check Rob's site before buying a new HF receiver or transceiver to make sure you are getting what you expect.
prcguy

Last edited:

Token

Once you get used to a radio that ranks high on Rob's list its hard to go back to a receiver that's low on the list, they just seem too annoying and fatiguing to listen for any length of time.

^^^ This

Even though my NRD-535 is an outstanding receiver I hardly ever use it anymore, and only part of the reason is because for listening I have pretty much shifted over to computer controlled SDR (unfortunately there is a shortage of receive only SDRs on that list, I think based on my own measurements that the WinRadio G33 would rate highly, the G31 less so but still very good). Aside from that when my Perseus worked (currently failed USB port) it was just far better to listen to for extended periods than the -535. And my Flex-5000A and FTdx-5000 are also less fatiguing, when I am in the ham shack and not at the listening desk.

Thanks nick, thanks a lot. For months since that list was updated I have been telling myself I do not need a 6700…now the temptation has surfaced yet again.

T!

majoco

Stirrer
Oh, I agree, I just picked those two as an example. Sensitivity hasn't been a problem for some time. Back in the 70's when I was fixing Redifons, Racals and Marconi's, 1uV for 10dB AM was pretty good, oscillator purity was not mentioned, shape factor in LC filters was poor. Then came SSB on the aero bands and things had to change!

I've just bought Nick's G33 - still getting my head around it - many more toys than the G303!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Thanks nick, thanks a lot. For months since that list was updated I have been telling myself I do not need a 6700…now the temptation has surfaced yet again.

:D

Glad I could help T! After all it is Christmas. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.