Latest Uniden Update Results in CO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

After much blood sweat and tears, I got the 2.00.07 update on my 396t and I was just wondering what others are discovering with this update as it relates to Colorado? Thanks!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
I have heard from at least a few others and agree myself the firmware update has been a great improvement for not only 396/996 DTRS monitoring in Colorado but we have also seen an EDACS improvement as well.

Jim<

Last edited:
M

mpg0515

What are the improvements that you are all seeing? I haven't noticed any.... CSP is yet again loud as hell! I had great results with 1.11.03 and setting the RES TIME -7 and the REF GAIN +3. I wanted to go back to that version but can't find the old BC VUP firmware updater that will allow me to do that. I noticed this difference almost right away. I also noticed a lot more broken packets on distant sites.

jfab

mpg0515 said:
What are the improvements that you are all seeing? I haven't noticed any.... CSP is yet again loud as hell! I had great results with 1.11.03 and setting the RES TIME -7 and the REF GAIN +3. I wanted to go back to that version but can't find the old BC VUP firmware updater that will allow me to do that. I noticed this difference almost right away. I also noticed a lot more broken packets on distant sites.
I'm with you. I'm not noticing anything...

dougjgray

I personally think although I have yet to hear any digital at all since the upgarde I heard very little digital before the update I think the audio sounds more muffled and not as clear. And I dont think it helped the buckley/Fed system at all, Thats the system I had most the trouble with digital sound with, but I havent made to many adjustments yet

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
The test for this would be to see how the radio handles monitoring the XCEL, United Airlines or Lockheed Martin Moto analog systems and see if what they describe occurs on any of those systems.

Phil.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
scanlist said:
If you guys have not been lurking in the Uniden forum you may want to take a look at this thread http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103667

Seems that some unfortunate issues involving conventional and analog trunking have shown up with this update.

Phil.

Ah yes...apparently I'm still making the right decision for my 996 by sticking with the original (1.something or other) firmware :D

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
So what improvements have you seen

I installed the upgrade to my 996t... So far the only improvment I have seen is that it seems to switch between towers a lot more quickly... As for improvment in the digital voice clarity.. I do not see any change at all... In the old version I had gone through manually and changed the setting for the towers that I use the most and had it at what I considered this best sounding.... this upgrade reset those settings and it is now on auto mode...

So I guess I am wondering.. from those of you that said you noticed improvements.. please explain what the improvement is....because I really don't see any...

I hear there is improvment in the edacs... however, I do not have edacs on the 996t as I use it for the dtrs only.. I use the bct15 for edacs stuff....

So tell me what have you seen in the improvement department..

jfab

k0pwo said:
I installed the upgrade to my 996t... So far the only improvment I have seen is that it seems to switch between towers a lot more quickly... As for improvment in the digital voice clarity.. I do not see any change at all... In the old version I had gone through manually and changed the setting for the towers that I use the most and had it at what I considered this best sounding.... this upgrade reset those settings and it is now on auto mode...

So I guess I am wondering.. from those of you that said you noticed improvements.. please explain what the improvement is....because I really don't see any...

I hear there is improvment in the edacs... however, I do not have edacs on the 996t as I use it for the dtrs only.. I use the bct15 for edacs stuff....

So tell me what have you seen in the improvement department..
I am noticing an improvement with DTRS, and nothing else. It's not that anything got worse, it's that it didnt change at all...
Maybe Uniden is gearing up for an ESK tracking firmware update soon! :lol:

k0pwo

Premium Subscriber
jfab said:
I am noticing an improvement with DTRS, and nothing else. It's not that anything got worse, it's that it didnt change at all...
Maybe Uniden is gearing up for an ESK tracking firmware update soon! :lol:

So Jfab, as my post asked... what is the improvement that you see in the p25 digital trunking area?

jfab

k0pwo said:
So Jfab, as my post asked... what is the improvement that you see in the p25 digital trunking area?
Better signal strength. For example I can monitor a Loveland CC from Broomfield now, and I couldn't before.

county

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed the following improvements:

-Lost Moto control channel, re-scan works well. . granted this was resolved in 1.13.07, but 1.13.07 still had too many instances of failed EDACS beep detect/suppress. So far 2.00.07 looks to have these issues resolved nicely.
-I have no quantifiable data, but it looks to me that the "zero" hold time on TRS systems (DTR & EDACS) is less than previous firmware versions. This is very desirable.

Status
Not open for further replies.