Lauderdale County , HELP ! New Uniden sds100

DarkEntei

I bought my first scanner this past week from zip scanners . I paid for the 3 upgrades and had it programmed for lauderdale and Clarke county . I don’t know much about this but my scanner is not picking anything up. It cycles through saying “scanning..” or “idscanning” but I am not hearing anything . Volume is on 6 . Squelch is on 2 . I have picked up radio stations a few times . When I first cut it on I picked up something from the fire department but it the past 24 hours that is all I’ve picked up. Any help would be greatly appreciated I don’t know where to begin so I am trying to learn more so maybe I can learn to program it myself . I am In the marion/meridian area in lauderdale county . I really would just like to hear police, accidents , fires , ambulance , stuff like that . Please help

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
LCSO is on MSWIN, MPD is last I heard still on the TRBO system and fully encrypted. Everyone is supposed to be on MSWIN ASAP and the TRBO is going offline. Clarke is I believe now fully on the MSWIN. When MPD goes to MSWIN, there is a good chance hey will go encrypted on it as well. All the fire agencies are on MSWIN. MPD on here and encrypted: ComSouth DMR - COMNET Mississippi Trunking System, Multiple, Mississippi
Sheriff etc on here: Mississippi Wireless Information Network (MSWIN) Trunking System, Jackson, Mississippi

DarkEntei

Ok I’m still learning . Do you have to pick one channel and leave it on that channel . Or can you have a group of channels and listen to them all at once ? I’ve got to figure out how to program it where I can listen to them. I actually have been able to go to trunked discovery and can hear some stuff . But that’s the only way I know how to do it is to stay on the trunked discovery . I’d like to get the sheriff, ambulance , and fire in lauderdale county . Just would like to hear everything goin on in lauderdale county . Wrecks ,the sheriff dispatch, Mississippi highway patrol, fires , Ent all that good stuff . I’ve got a lot to learn . Gonna try to figure it out this week and get it programmed

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
As @milf has already said, there are several agencies in your area that have either already gone encrypted (you will never be able to listen to with a scanner of any type) or soon will be. Highway patrol is very active usually in the area (I'm in Hattiesburg and they are active here). What software are you using to program your scanner? Sentinel or Proscan.

DarkEntei

Yes the meridian police department is fully encrypted . I have been able to pick up some MHP and sheriff stuff though. I just got my scanner in yesterday so only been messing with it today . I ordered it from zip scanners and paid for it to be programmed. When it came in I couldn’t pick anything up with how they had it programmed. (I had very little prior knowledge on scanners/radios) So I started watching videos and that’s when I found out about the trunking discovery. I did that to be able to pick up a little somethin while I do my research on programming . The video that I watched so far used sentinel . I am not sure which I am going to use but I plan on messing with it tmrw after doing a little more research . Any recommendations or tips would be greatly appreciated.

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
Once the scanner detects a transmission on a frequency all others are ignored until the transmission is completed and scanning the others (in order one by one) has picked up where it left off and resumes. And yes you can HOLD on 1 frequency if that is what you want to do but you will miss anything going on if not scanning the other frequencies. The scanner can only scan 1 frequency at a time but it will go through all of them that you have in your favorites (and that are not avoided) very quickly. It might help you read THIS over to help understand scanning.

There are others on here that are more versed on scanning than I am. I believe some on here have been doing it longer than I have been alive. And that's a LOOOOONNG time.

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
You might also want to read Easier to Read SDS-100/200 Digital Scanner Manual which will help understand your scanner better. It helped me out a lot. If you get the Sentinel software you will want to read Sentinel SDS100/200 Software Manual which is also a big help. My suggestion would be to print each of these to PDF and you can read them at your leisure. The hardest thing for me to get use to on my SDS as well as my 436HP was the Quick Keys. Once I realized (last week) how they worked, it was really simple. But I learned by reading these I listed above. You will find that there are some really great people on here who are willing to help. But first they want to know What scanner you have, Where you are, What you are trying to listen to and finally "Did you read the manual".

morrisr3nd

Premium Subscriber
Looks like most of the county has. Don't see anything for the city. Like @milf stated MPD is currently encrypted so most likely they will be encrypted when they do switch over to MSWIN. Haven't seen any updates to the system to make any other assumptions.

TheRadioGuru

Clarke County Fire, Meridian PD, Meridian Public Works, and Meridian Fire department remain on ComNet. All other East MS agencies have moved to MSWIN full time for communications.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
FWIW, for a period of about 6 hours one night, and a few the next (sometime in December), a Meridian PD console was multicasting on Statewide Event Common. The dispatcher was told about it by (I think, the RIDs were close) someone working an EOC console and she got really hostile and told them to stay off her channel. It was around this point I took my radio out of scan mode so I didn't have to listen anymore.

Anyone else recall hearing that?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
FWIW, for a period of about 6 hours one night, and a few the next (sometime in December), a Meridian PD console was multicasting on Statewide Event Common. The dispatcher was told about it by (I think, the RIDs were close) someone working an EOC console and she got really hostile and told them to stay off her channel. It was around this point I took my radio out of scan mode so I didn't have to listen anymore.

Anyone else recall hearing that?
Oh boyyy... And this is why there needs to be retraining and some Comms folks given spankings. With crap like that, Interop will fail hugely. I mean, SW EVENT TG's are NOT private use. Hence the very name of the TG's! Sheesh!

Hammerguy69

Clarke County Fire, Meridian PD, Meridian Public Works, and Meridian Fire department remain on ComNet. All other East MS agencies have moved to MSWIN full time for communications.
Clarke Co Fire and Meridian units are coming soon. Heard from local shop.

slhbeard

Premium Subscriber
Emergency Management Agency 1-43903AnyEmergency Ops2secOffOff0NoneOff
Emergency Management Agency 2-43905AnyEmergency Ops2secOffOff0NoneOff
Emergency Operations Center-43907AnyEmergency Ops2secOffOff0NoneOff
Emergency Management Agency Events-43909AnyEmergency Ops2secOffOff0NoneOff
Sheriff - 1-43920AnyLaw Dispatch2secOffOff0NoneOff
Sheriff - 2-43922AnyLaw Tac2secOffOff0NoneOff
Sheriff - 3-43924AnyLaw Tac2secOffOff0NoneOff
Sheriff - Criminal Investigation Division-43926AnyLaw Talk2secOffOff0NoneOff
Sheriff - East Miss Drug Task Force-43928AnyLaw Talk2secOffOff0NoneOff
Sheriff - SWAT-43932AnyLaw Tac2secOffOff0NoneOff