• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Law Enforcement Agencies using IM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

car2back

Does anyone know of a Law Enforcement agency that uses any public instant message service? If so, with what kinds of results ?

One of the officers where I work setup Yahoo IM on the dispatch computer and all the computers in the squad room so that we can communicate text information back and forth.

Stephen

My Dept just uses the regular IM on CAD, they have it routed to all computers in the Car, Dispatch, and the Headquarters so we can log into any of them and message to each other. Also some of them use yahoo on the side.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I would discourage that if at all possible - IM's between on duty officers fall under the sort of thing that MUST be made available if someone submits the appropriate FOIA request. If they use Yahoo, getting those transcripts will be nearly impossible - yahoo is very very protective of their users. It also opens up the risk inherent to transmitting sensitive information over a public network.

IMHO, CAD networks should be totally closed systems with no internet access possible to prevent someone from downloading a virus that could compromise sensitive data or unwittingly give a hacker remote access to the system.

-AZ

joetnymedic

I happen to know of an agency that uses the IM feature on their nextels and blackberry's at least while on the job doing survielances, etc. mostly stuff they don't want to say over the air or nextel to the whole group.

radio10-8

Most states if not all states by now absoluetly restrict or forbid any computer that has NCIC access to have the interent connection on or installed. If caught with an internet connection on a NCIC computer during an audit. Your NCIC access can be revoked. Now next time your on a newer CAD system click the "online help" and your magically taken to a CAD help web site, from there you can change the web address and surf the web. Contradicts what I said? Yes and No? So far nothing limits the CAD system from taking you to an "online help site" Last NCIC audit we had 4 years ago, this was not an issue, changing the URl to something other than the CAD company site is. By the way yes we use IM all the time.

tiawah466

When I was at EMSA several of us had metrocall two way pagers and we used them for informal chitchat and anything we didnot want dispatch to hear. At the time my partner and I also used them to chitchat with several OHP troopers and TPD officers that had them. They were never used as a formal means of communication though.

Im

We Use Google Talk In The Comm Center That I Work In. All The Deputies And Some Of The Local Pd's Have Laptops In There Car, So We Can Talk Back And Forth With Them.

car2back

radio10-8 said:
Most states if not all states by now absoluetly restrict or forbid any computer that has NCIC access to have the interent connection on or installed. If caught with an internet connection on a NCIC computer during an audit. Your NCIC access can be revoked. Now next time your on a newer CAD system click the "online help" and your magically taken to a CAD help web site, from there you can change the web address and surf the web. Contradicts what I said? Yes and No? So far nothing limits the CAD system from taking you to an "online help site" Last NCIC audit we had 4 years ago, this was not an issue, changing the URl to something other than the CAD company site is. By the way yes we use IM all the time.
uh, evidently not in Oklahoma; every OLETS/NLETS terminal (the computers with access to NCIC) in the state has internet access. We are using the IM on our CAD computers/network which isn't connected to the OLETS system BTW.

thanks for all the replies; they're all very informative!

KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Local PD here used to use ICQ before they upgraded to new MDTs/MCTs that have messaging enabled in the system...why did they use ICQ you ask? because it was one of the only messaging clients that required approval..that way they could maintain some level of control over the messages...but now they have the MDT messaging of which every conversation is logged so of course the officers want to go back to the good ol' days of ICQ :D

BoxAlarm187

FWIW, I know Virginia also restricts any PC with access to VCIN/NCIC/III from having internet access.

For the same reasons that AZscanner mentioned, we don't use any form of IM that isn't integrated as part of the CAD system.

mmartinfan

Banned
scannermaster2006 said:
We Use Google Talk In The Comm Center That I Work In. All The Deputies And Some Of The Local Pd's Have Laptops In There Car, So We Can Talk Back And Forth With Them.

Stop typing like that! Its annoying!

We have an IM system on our CAD, but its almost never used

SCPD

Yokoshibu said:
the air force uses a form of IM!
Yes they do but that is a secure network.

If a local police agency is using a public IM that's fine as long as it is only BS not sensitive info.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
At my work we hardly use the IM through CAD, unless we want the other person to see it as it pops up a window, and i've heard stories where supers have pulled stuff off the records and fired people for **** talking. But for general chating we use the Vista (phone) IM system, i've been told by a vet that nothing can be pulled off vista ims. But we can also use CAD to IM officers (the few that have MDT at this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.