Law Enforcement and CB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafale01010

Does any LE agency actively monitor the emergency channel on th CB radio(ch9)? Im jus curious of they still do, i want to say ive heard they have in the past and unsure right now.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
most likely depends on your location I guess

definitely depends on your region if an agency monitors channel 9. Back in the days before the cell phone, most did. Most of them don't anymore because of the cellular phone. In an emergency I wouldn't depend on Channel 9 though, you'd have better luck contacting someone on Channel 19.

Last edited:

signguy10

Where I live, I don't believe so. I know there is a citizens group established here that actively has a person monitor a CB radio on the emergency channel. I also know that all hospitals and airports have a CB radio to listen to the emergency channel with in case of an emergency where a citizen could call in directly to the hospital.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Iowa state patrol still does...

I was riding with a trooper one night, he switched over to 19 and talked to a truck driver who was waaay off the route for the logos on his truck (specific company logos, with no factory or store for 50 miles on a county blacktop a long way from any major highway). The guy gave funny answers, the trooper found PC for a stop, found lots of drugs.

tunnelmot

Plenty of Troopers around here still sportin' mag mount CB whips. Even in the major metro area just south of me.

Even with P25 radios, and latest wireless access to NCIC/TCIC, I guess CB still plays a role in comms.

Rich

rico47635

They don't monitor channel 9 around here. A lot of the State Troopers have CBs in them, but it's more to monitor what the truckers are saying than monitoring channel 9.

N

N_Jay

I recall very recently (last month or two) seeing a sign on the Interstate, but don't recall which state it was.

NY, NJ, PA, DE, OH, IN, IL, or WI??

RayAir

They used to in Detroit (REACT). A few years ago I know Fraser PD did monitor CB. Detroit stopped years ago. Don't know about Fraser.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Haven't seen them in the RCMP vehicles even when there was no skip in 1964. Most people dropped CB radios here, when channel 19 was taken over by the foul [fowl] mouthed users in the 1970's. I don't think CB would be of any use to RCMP, nor would they want to listen to what it is being used for today. And in a few years when the sunspot cycle improves, will only be good for skip anyhow. And ham radio has many more options.

definitely depends on your region if an agency monitors channel 9. Back in the days before the cell phone, most did. Most of them don't anymore because of the cellular phone. In an emergency I wouldn't depend on Channel 9 though, you'd have better luck contacting someone on Channel 19.

And an even better chance getting heard on one of the 10 meter "freeband" trucker frequencies. Most truckers now have new internet-purchased mega-power freeband "CB's" don't they? Most truck stops are said to have pretty good deals and you can find them in all chrome with echo for a reasonable price I am told.

countywacker

Pa State Police in my area on the older cars had cb antennas on them, but i belive the last few new cars that i saw which were chargers, (ugly) i did not see any cb antennas on them.

ctpd845

My department started to do away with CBs in our cars about 3 years ago. Last year we got rid of our last car with a cb. I 'm also pretty sure none of the neighboring departments have CBs anymore.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Iowa state patrol still does...

I was riding with a trooper one night, he switched over to 19 and talked to a truck driver who was waaay off the route for the logos on his truck (specific company logos, with no factory or store for 50 miles on a county blacktop a long way from any major highway). The guy gave funny answers, the trooper found PC for a stop, found lots of drugs.

I second that. When I got pulled over by Iowa State Patrol a couple weeks ago, there was a CB in the console on channel 9 in the car.

And no, I'm not the semi truck driver burner50 is talking about! :)

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
Colorado State Patrol does not have them.

(I called them to check recently for another discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.