Law enforcement phonetic alphabet “political correctness”

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
For some time now Mount Vernon PD switched from using “Boy” to “Baker” for the letter B. How long do you think it will take for other other depts to switch? Just an open discussion NOT TRYING TO PROVE ANY POINTS

MDScanFan

Seems like that could lead to confusion during all of the conventional baker related incidents. Now when dispatch states something like "there is a 12 year old baker missing" do they mean a 12 year old boy or a 12 year old baker. Could lead to lots of problems.

On a more serious note, I guess they tend to break things down into boy, girl, man, woman. What do they use for the last three?

IFRIED91

Arrive alive
Premium Subscriber
Hahaha 12 year old baker that’s funny.. but you’re right tho.. for the most part you say hear them give the name, description of clothing, and last seen.

Seems like that could lead to confusion during all of the conventional baker related incidents. Now when dispatch states something like "there is a 12 year old baker missing" do they mean a 12 year old boy or a 12 year old baker. Could lead to lots of problems.

On a more serious note, I guess they tend to break things down into boy, girl, man, woman. What do they use for the last three?

kb4mdz

Aren't most phonetic alphabets done with 2 or more syllable words? So that if one syllable doesn't get thru, the other one will still be understood?

Better to say 'Affirmative' than 'Yes', 'Negative' than 'No' and such. Esp. back in AM radio you could have a static crash that could wipe out at least one syllable of voice.

APX7500X2

For some time now Mount Vernon PD switched from using “Boy” to “Baker” for the letter B. How long do you think it will take for other other depts to switch? Just an open discussion NOT TRYING TO PROVE ANY POINTS
One of our LTs uses what ever he thinks of at that time, last week the plate was AK-34980.....Normal would be Alpha Kilo 34980...But with him its Alligator Kangaroo 34980...I do think if he keeps doing that he is going to eventually get a cease and desist letter from the animal community

RRR

Premium Subscriber
F = Phone, Q = Cucumber, etc. etc. :p

In the (real) South, it's still "Adam, Boy, Charles, David, Edward, Frank, George, Henry, Ida, John, King, Lincoln, Mary, Nora, Ocean, Paul, Queen, Robert, Sam, Tom, Union, Victor, William, X-ray, Yankee, Zebra.

I have never heard of a male child referred to as a "B-Boy" or "B-Baker" That just doesn't make sense. The accurate terminology would be, for example, "An 11 year old White Male" if that was the description.
Or "Black Female" if that was accurate, with "Adult / Juvenile" etc.

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
B - Baker has been the standard in the Las Vegas area since forever. Maybe other areas of NV too?

Two syllables is likely preferred (take a look at NATO. Only two (Mike and Golf) are single syllable.) Probably has absolutely zero to do with "political correctness".

ke4crc

Premium Subscriber
The accurate terminology would be, for example, "An 11-year-old White Male" if that was the description.
[/QUOTE]

My county says 11 yr old Whisky Mike
or
Bravo or Whisky
10-93 for all FM's

kc2gbv

My local jurisdiction pretty much prefers plain English over codes. They use codes that facilitates communication when subject is within earshot of the radio such as 10-12 for “is visitor present”. This is consistent with ICS conventions. Of course there is a lot more traffic over the MDT’s

KB2GOM

F = Phone, Q = Cucumber, etc. etc. :p

In the (real) South, it's still "Adam, Boy, Charles, David, Edward, Frank, George, Henry, Ida, John, King, Lincoln, Mary, Nora, Ocean, Paul, Queen, Robert, Sam, Tom, Union, Victor, William, X-ray, Yankee, Zebra.

I have never heard of a male child referred to as a "B-Boy" or "B-Baker" That just doesn't make sense. The accurate terminology would be, for example, "An 11 year old White Male" if that was the description.

Local LEOs (Rensselaer County, NY) seem to use your list above . . . their alphaphonetics are generally names, but I haven't heard them do the whole list, and I haven't checked to see if they do it consistently or do they just use whatever name pops into their heads.

More . . . I just spoke with the Traffic Management Center in Latham, NY. They share a room with the NY State Police Dispatchers. The woman I spoke with said: "There isn't a standard list."

FYI, I run the Commuter Assistance Net on 2 meter ham -- 146.94 -- every workday morning from 6 am to 8:15 am. I have regular contact witht the Traffic Management Center. If you are curious, you can find out more here: Commuter Assistance Net

If you are in the area, feel free to check into the net. Everyone is welcome.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The accurate terminology would be, for example, "An 11-year-old White Male" if that was the description.

My county says 11 yr old Whisky Mike
or
Bravo or Whisky
10-93 for all FM's
I usually hear WMJ or WFJ for an 11 year old.

Reactions: RRR

WB9YBM

I just spoke with the Traffic Management Center in Latham, NY. They share a room with the NY State Police Dispatchers. The woman I spoke with said: "There isn't a standard list."

Humm...A few years ago I heard that APCO had generated such a list--so I guess either APCO hasn't gained widespread acceptance, or theirs was only a suggestion...?

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

WB9YBM

In my department, I suggested a food-based phonetics: Alfredo, Baklava, Cheesecake, Danish, Enchilada, etc. Thought it would be understandable and probably not offend anyone. It never gained any traction, however. <smirk>

Would lead to interesting results if used at a fast-food drive-up ;)

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
There are also "proper" phonetic codes for numbers as well as letters. I have never personally heard them in actual usage.

k2hz

Database Admin
There are also "proper" phonetic codes for numbers as well as letters. I have never personally heard them in actual usage.
They are primarily a military and also international thing. Recommended for services like marine and aviation where there may be language issues. Really not necessary among English speakers other than "nin-er" is common carryover from military use.

Status
Not open for further replies.