Law enforcement phonetic alphabet “political correctness”

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well, obviously nothing to do with "Political Correctness".

The NATO standard is a good one since it allows different dialects and different countries to communicate effectively like K2HZ said above.

As for local agencies, there seem to be a general consensus. The APCO project 2 was an early stab and standardizing, then it sort of morphed into different versions. APCO has tried a few times, but no such luck.

Individual agencies may have their own commonly used version. Individual officers sometimes make up their own. Dispatchers will tell you how annoying it is trying to have someone spell something out to you over the phone/radio and making up cute versions.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
why not use the Military Version - Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Foxtrot, etc

Which military version would that be? There's several to choose from. Which ever one you pick will be the wrong one and some stranger on the internets will complain.

The only thing that really matters is that the two parties communicating understand the radio traffic. Agencies have figured that out, long ago, without the help of the scanner community.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Our state agencies switched from the police one to International one I guess at least 10 years ago.

ATCTech

I'm deviating from law enforcement standards I know, and I can't speak for the FAA, but here in Canada ongoing performance evaluations of air traffic controllers include phrasology and phonetics assessment. ICAO standards are the benchmark. The emergency services I listen to in the southern Ontario area are primarily in line with those same words for the alphabet. The numbers maybe not so much. Fife and Niner aren't part of the local fire dispatch lingo! ;)

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I had to use "Adam, Boy, etc." early on in my career. That later changed to "Alpha, Bravo, etc." I still think the Adam, Boy etc is quicker when having to run names over the radio, mostly due to less syllables ("Sam vs Sierra" as an example). Just my .02

RRR

Premium Subscriber
No agency in the South wants anything to do with "NATO" speech standards, I can assure you of that

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Once trained a young kid who had ZERO work experience. Long story short were on the road one afternoon and do a motor vehicle lockout. He goes to give Dispatch the plate of the vehicle and two of the character's in the plate were "W and J." So when he comes across those last two he says, "Wonder bread, Jesus." I spit my coffee all over the dash laughing. Dispatch didn't know how to reply.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Westchester County PD has been using Baker for years...Baker units are their Bronx River Parkway cars.

NYAirOne

F = Phone, Q = Cucumber, etc. etc. :p

In the (real) South, it's still "Adam, Boy, Charles, David, Edward, Frank, George, Henry, Ida, John, King, Lincoln, Mary, Nora, Ocean, Paul, Queen, Robert, Sam, Tom, Union, Victor, William, X-ray, Yankee, Zebra.

I have never heard of a male child referred to as a "B-Boy" or "B-Baker" That just doesn't make sense. The accurate terminology would be, for example, "An 11 year old White Male" if that was the description.
Or "Black Female" if that was accurate, with "Adult / Juvenile" etc.

Your list is correct from back in the day. This was considered the Police phonetic list. Military uses the Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India, Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo, Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, Xray, Yankee, Zulu.

Nowdays seems like anything goes depending on the department.

I have heard from people that some now use Baker instead of Boy as to not offend people.

• Haha
Reactions: RRR

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have heard "ZED" for Z, From HAMs and LEOs alike.
I believe they use that term across the pond.

Anyway, a byword that is becoming more ingrained in everything I do:
"The older I get, the more I dislike political correctness, incompetence or stupidity."

RRR

Premium Subscriber
B is Boy in "Plain talk" and B is "Bravo" in Mil. talk.

"Baker" just sounds irritating.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I love it when things that aren't broken are fixed three times over.

Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.