Law Enforcement steps up patrol for holiday weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan-Denver

As reported by KUSA 9news.

DENVER - Under the piercing flashlight of a late night sobriety checkpoint, a driver may run into the Chief himself. if
Mark Trostel is the chief of the Colorado State Patrol, but the title won't let him escape his duties over Memorial Day Weekend as every uniformed officer in the department will patrol the streets looking for drunk drivers.

It's called "Colorado Target Zero" or the "Heat Is On" campaign, but slogans aside, the chief doesn't need to remind drivers that many lives are affected by drunk driving accidents during this time of year.

"It's devastating to families, every single one of them is," said Trostel.

In 2005, nearly 36 percent of all traffic fatalities in Colorado involved alcohol, leaving 217 people dead. More than half of those deaths occurred in only five counties; Adams, Denver, El Paso, Jefferson, and Weld, according to the Colorado State Patrol.

Steve Neyer's son is more than a statistic to him.

"The emptiness, the shock, it changes your life forever," said Neyer.

Neyer's son died in a drunk driving wreck on June 3rd, 2001. 18-year-old Adam Neyer was a passenger, but his driver was intoxicated.

Five years later, Neyer talks to classes with an audience of DUI offenders.

"I put a mirror in their face and have them look at a potential killer," said Neyer.

"I'll say, 'Could you look at this everyday, because you have the chance to change things. If you don't, you'll end up in jail like the rest of them,'" said Neyer.

Preventing a repeat of Neyer's loss is the goal of this weekend's patrol.

From 6 p.m. Friday evening until 3 a.m. Tuesday morning, Colorado law enforcement will have DUI checkpoints established throughout the area.

State Patrol will work with several law enforcement agencies throughout Colorado during the Holiday weekend, and through the summer.

Officers will not only look for drunk drivers, but motorists who fail to use, or properly install child safety seats.

As Chief Trostel simply said, "It's a tragedy that can be averted, it doesn't have to happen."

yooperinco

Clear Creek

CCSO and CSP are stopping a lot of cars today.
CSP has 3 cars working Hwy 40 between Empire and Berthoud falls.....

Be careful, don't drink and drive

cstockmyer

If you drink, don't drive, don't even putt! Someone famous said that, no idea who. But yes by all means be careful this weekend, that goes for all thoes in uniform too.

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Good oppourtunity for logging with pro96com and watch the DTRS sites go through a stress test this weekend. The PRO-96 was not doing to well with sites up here yesterday.

Phil.

A whole lot of activity along the southwest routes, expecially on sb 285 yesterday. CSP was using 6B Tac channel for traffic. A lot of saturation. Good work to the troops, some folks just forget how dangerous this highway is, not to mention with the increased holiday traffic volume.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
Friday morning I heard CSP "command 3" on a traffic stop on I-25 south of Pueblo. Not sure who that is, but obviously some "muckety-muck" at CSP.
Saturday morning on I-25 and E470 between Colorado Springs and DIA, I saw a whole lot of CSP cars, and even two CSP hazmat units (are they doing 10-75's in hazmat trucks?). Very busy.

STiMULi

I left Denver at 1PM Friday and I swear I saw more LEO on the trip out of Colorado than I have in all my previous the trips to Denver combined. I would bet if you had access to a patrol car and you weren't sleeping you were on patrol.

I mean from Denver to Four Corners it was B U S Y.

Soemthing I want to ask about that I kept hearing...

"RP is willing to sign" it seemed to be associated with road rage or aggressive driving.

Does this mean that a LEO does not have to witness an action for the suspect to get a summons?

I forgot to add:

I was pulled over on 285 15minutes into my trip for a "Illegal License Plate Cover" No citation but I was stopped none the less. I was also "LIT UP" by a passing Sheriff of somewhere in the abosolute Boonies County but he didn't bother to turn around. I looked at my speedo when the detector went off and I was only 6 over :)

Last edited:

RISC777

Must be my hours or my to/from route. I haven't seen more than the usual amount of patrol cars, city or state.

I went 20 days with no insurance and sweated every time I turned the ignition. Now I don't even get the chance to "be legal" by being stopped, or hitting a check point. Oh well.

"RP is willing to sign"

My experience listening to this issue is that a tropper will issue a ticket if an RP is willing to submit a signed statement, or perhaps a documented complaint, about a violation regarding the suspect even if the trooper did not witness the incident.. The other day, I heard a 6Adam unit stop a suspect that had been reported by an RP on a cell phone. The RP could not stop due to another time restraint, and requested that he sign the statement/complaint later. The trooper said he would not issue a ticket unless the RP first signed a statement. I hear this "Is RP willing to sign" quite often amount various LE agencies. There used to be a CSP telephone number you could call to report tailgaters..etc. As I recall, CSP would mail a citation, I'm sure after proper documentation from the RP, license number, driver description, location...etc.

firescannerbob

Feed Provider
evergreenwaterman said:
There used to be a CSP telephone number you could call to report tailgaters..etc. As I recall, CSP would mail a citation, I'm sure after proper documentation from the RP, license number, driver description, location...etc.

On cell phones only, it's *CSP (*277). They CANNOT mail a citatiion. Either a LEO has to witness the infraction and issue a ticket to the driver (not the registered owner) , or the LEO can stop the car, but the person calling in the complaint must sign a formal complaint. Without either one happening, no ticket is issued. On the other hand, I remember that when either of the above didn't happen, they would mail you a little notice that someone complained about a vehicle being registered to you...

Troop

firescannerbob said:
Friday morning I heard CSP "command 3" on a traffic stop on I-25 south of Pueblo. Not sure who that is, but obviously some "muckety-muck" at CSP.
Saturday morning on I-25 and E470 between Colorado Springs and DIA, I saw a whole lot of CSP cars, and even two CSP hazmat units (are they doing 10-75's in hazmat trucks?). Very busy.

Command 3 is a Lt.Col....I was part of the mayham on I-25 and yep....6 over will get you a ticket

epbernstein

evergreenwaterman said:
My experience listening to this issue is that a tropper will issue a ticket if an RP is willing to submit a signed statement, or perhaps a documented complaint, about a violation regarding the suspect even if the trooper did not witness the incident.. The other day, I heard a 6Adam unit stop a suspect that had been reported by an RP on a cell phone. The RP could not stop due to another time restraint, and requested that he sign the statement/complaint later. The trooper said he would not issue a ticket unless the RP first signed a statement. I hear this "Is RP willing to sign" quite often amount various LE agencies. There used to be a CSP telephone number you could call to report tailgaters..etc. As I recall, CSP would mail a citation, I'm sure after proper documentation from the RP, license number, driver description, location...etc.

Kind of the equivalent of a citizen's arrest?

epbernstein

Troop said:
Command 3 is a Lt.Col....I was part of the mayham on I-25 and yep....6 over will get you a ticket

Wow, I'd always heard 7 was the magic number.

What's the allowance for speedometer error?

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
I would say anything over the limit qualifies for a ticket. Simple as that. I would think its up to the individual trooper.

Troop

epbernstein said:
Wow, I'd always heard 7 was the magic number.

What's the allowance for speedometer error?

Speedometer error doesnt factor in.....since Speeding Violations are a Strict Liability offense...it actually says in the speeding statue that lack of or speedometer malfuntion is not a defense.......

It all depends on the trooper or the area...In my area we start stopping and warning at 5 over...it's done wonders on compliance!...

Status
Not open for further replies.