Law enforcment question

Status
Not open for further replies.

de784

Have a question for the Law enforcement folks out there I've seen a few traffic stops when the officer walks up the the car they take there hand and touch the trunk while walking to the window why is this?

pogbobo

to leave a thumb print in case anything bad goes down ... or so it is my understanding

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
I'm not in LE, but my guess would be to tell if the car was still running, if he can't see exhaust, or hear the engine over traffic noise.

trace1

Making sure the trunk is secure, as in no one hiding in it, that could do harm to the Police Oficer.

BoxAlarm187

The officer will place his thumbprint on the left rear quarter panel to leave a print in case he's assaulted and the vehicle flees, the print will be left on the vehicle.

CAPTLPOL1

It is to ensure that the vehicle is secure. So no one will pop out of the trunk and start blazing rounds.

car2back

CAPTLPOL1 said:
It is to ensure that the vehicle is secure. So no one will pop out of the trunk and start blazing rounds.
This was the explanation I was given in the academy... another thing some do is touch the driver's side taillight for the finger print thing to leave evidence should the SHTF.

SCPD

QRT
i guess not all cops do this because i regularly see cops wearing tactical leather gloves almost all the time

cpd38

Premium Subscriber
As a police officer, I was only told to do it to make sure the trunk is secure so you don't have any unwanted guests in the trunk popping up to say hello. I've actually never heard of the thumbprint thing, but I suppose that is possible.

I've actually heard stories from coworkers where someone has been hiding in the trunk for various reasons. Either they are hiding due to warrants, drugs or maybe they just want to do harm. It's not that hard for someone to get into the trunk with pull down rear seats.

And yeah, on a traffic stop I actually did have a car with the trunk ajar that had some less than stellar citizens in the vehicle. It turned out to be nothing, but it's amazing how several occupants in the car had warrants and were all known gang members.

But needless to say, it's just a safety thing.

Croaker90

Incase the car shoots the officer, then takes off, the supervisors can view the tape and see where he put his print, and check that car to see if that is the one.

I think the cops do it in different places, and view the tape if they need to know where the print is, because if they ALL do it in the same spot, the criminals will know exactly where to wipe off.

cstockmyer

It's to make sure if someone is in the trunk waiting to pop out and open up on the officer, they get locked in. There for no popping out no shooting. :roll:

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
cstockmyer said:
It's to make sure if someone is in the trunk waiting to pop out and open up on the officer, they get locked in. There for no popping out no shooting. :roll:
Of course the guy in the trunk could wait with a locked trunk, and have the second remote and pop that trunk after? Or the driver for that matter.

KLH

Premium Subscriber
I don't think the "make sure the trunk is secure" is correct. Well, I should say I don't think they should be even checking to see if the trunk is secure.

Almost all cars now day (all new cars are required for how many years now) to have emergency trunk relief levers in the trunk, so if the trunk was secure when the officer went by it, doesn't mean it will be 5 seconds later...

CLTX11

I have never even thought about them touching the trunk. Guess I do not pay enough attention. As others stated, there is multiple ways to open the trunk without a key.

I find that interesting that you pointed that out.

cstockmyer

GreatLakes said:
Of course the guy in the trunk could wait with a locked trunk, and have the second remote and pop that trunk after? Or the driver for that matter.
It was preached into us in the Explorers and the Police Academy, ALLWAYS push on the trunk on a traffic stop. If it locks then gets popped again they need to address weather it is a broken trunk catch, or is there someone in there with bad intentions. I mean come on " to leave their finger prints on the car."? Someone has been watching way to much CSI, not like the weather, or whats on the roads or even a car wash could make that fingerprint useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.