LAX to implement public safety Trunked system

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
The Los Angeles World Airports Board of Airport Commissioners voted this week to authorize a $7.6mil contract for the installation of a trunked digital P25 radio system that would initialy cover LAX and Van Nuys to better facilitate public safety and airfield operations communications. The system would eventualy be expanded to Ontario airport also.

The system will make use of 4 current, and 4 recently allocated UHF frequencies and will be compatible with the future LA-RICS network.

Planned system frequency pairs are;
1. 460.525/465.525 MHz (prior, existing)
2. 453.375/458.375 MHz (prior, existing)
3. 460.100/465.100 MHz (prior, existing)
4. 460,550/465.550 MHz (prior, existing)
5. 472.5500/475.5500 MHz (BOAC Resolution 22836, November 21, 2005)
6. 472.5625/475.5625 MHz (BOAC Resolution 22836, November 21, 2005)
7. 472.5875/475.5875 MHz (BOAC Resolution 22836, November 21, 2005)
8. 472.6375/475.6375 MHz (BOAC Resolution 22836, November 21, 2005)

DPD1

I'm amazed it's taken them this long... With all the 9/11 money flowing, you'd think that would have been the first thing they changed. They've been on the same old couple freqs forever. I think it's overkill for VN, but whatever. I guess I'm naive, but how does this cost over 7 mil? I mean, unless they want countywide coverage. But that's not the way they do it now, and I don't see why they would need that.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
I think the system will be defacto regional one across LA County, and into OC/SB also.

If you look at the FCC info for the 4 recently alloted frequency pairs (WQGI890) it shows 6 transmitter sites - 2 around LAX, 1 Baldwin Hills, 1 Palmdale, 1 Corona in Orange County, and 1 atop Mt. Lukens.

With operations spread across distant facilities it makes some sense I suppose to develop a networked system with talk groups that can directly communicate.

karldotcom

Does it say those new frequencies are encrypted? With the airlines footing the bill, maybe they dont want to share it with anyone. On the other hand, a zone at LAX and a zone at Van Nuys might be the start of something bigger....although I would just join ICIS for Palmdale since that is already running.

Kind of like San Fernando...when they book someone downtown or take them to LA USC, they pop on ICIS for a while to talk to their dispatcher but dont use it for in town.

Last edited:

DPD1

I don't know what the exact situation for security at LAX is. Not to put the APPD down, but I've never gotten the impression they are considered the ultimate defense for the airport. I always assumed there is probably a fed element put in place that is doing the more serious stuff. But maybe I'm wrong. If that's the case, maybe that's why they didn't feel a huge need to pump money into APPD comms. You would think they'd go for encryption, but who knows. Maybe not. They barely even use the radio at VN.

As far as Palmdale... It was my understanding that they pulled out of there with the terminal closure, and that the civilian facility is now under private security contract. Latest plan is to take a lot of the surrounding land and put up solar panels.

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
No I dont believe they will encrypt the network, and its not filed as such with the FCC.

As far as the Los Angeles World Airport PD (which has almost 1,000 officers and 4th largest agency in LA County) they are the ones tasked with the primary security and control of LAWA managed airports.
While LAPD has a small LAX substation, its LAWA PD that has the primary law enforcement duty and handles everything diverse as facility security, traffic control, ground transportation regulations enforcement, auto and cargo theft investigations, dignitary protection, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.