LCD Display - Flickering Font Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed this flickering on the LCD Display of my SDS200. Also noticed that when you lock into the Channel -Department or System the background color flickers excessively. This doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it's there and easy to observe. When I turn the scanner on in the morning the display is normal. Once on and a change is made on the scanner, the flickering starts. I tried reprogramming the scanner, no change. I tried to replace the SD Card to no avail. I purchased two SDS100's at the same time and presume they came from the original shipment to the dealer. The second SDS200 display is perfect. Also have a SDS100, no problem with that display either. Anyone else experiencing the same syndrome?

Thanks

caldwest

I had a similar problem with my first SDS200. There was a flickering line below the SYSTEM SEPT CHANNEL text on the screen. I ended up exchanging that unit for a new one to keep my option within the 'no questions asked' exchange period of 30 days. So far the replacement unit has no screen flicker and the very low hum it had was corrected when I installed the factory part.

Posts on this board said the screen flicker is due to a malfunctioning screen, or to dimmer settings, or to the frame grounding issue. I don't recall Uniden issuing a statement on this issue.

Meskoman

I had the exact same problem after 2 weeks of 24/7 running and had all dimmers at 10%. Exchanged for a new one and will be 2 weeks tomorrow running 24/7 and everything is great! Love this scanner!!

teknishun

I've noticed this flickering on the LCD Display of my SDS200. Also noticed that when you lock into the Channel -Department or System the background color flickers excessively. This doesn't seem to be getting worse, but it's there and easy to observe. When I turn the scanner on in the morning the display is normal. Once on and a change is made on the scanner, the flickering starts. I tried reprogramming the scanner, no change. I tried to replace the SD Card to no avail. I purchased two SDS100's at the same time and presume they came from the original shipment to the dealer. The second SDS200 display is perfect. Also have a SDS100, no problem with that display either. Anyone else experiencing the same syndrome?

Thanks

No. That's not normal under any circumstances. I would send that unit back and request a replacement while you
are still in the exchange window.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate hearing from everyone concerning my problem with the display. I purchased this item on January 16th so the exchange window has gone by. I'll call Uniden today to request warranty information. Not experiencing the hum as some reported. Love this radio, hope this will be the only issue!

mkt853

I appreciate hearing from everyone concerning my problem with the display. I purchased this item on January 16th so the exchange window has gone by. I'll call Uniden today to request warranty information. Not experiencing the hum as some reported. Love this radio, hope this will be the only issue!
I'm in the same boat. Uniden, to my knowledge, has yet to acknowledge this issue. You're going to have to send it back to Uniden for a warranty repair which will hopefully be free. You'll likely have to pay for the shipping though.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I'm in the same boat. Uniden, to my knowledge, has yet to acknowledge this issue. You're going to have to send it back to Uniden for a warranty repair which will hopefully be free. You'll likely have to pay for the shipping though.

Thanks for responding to my message. I called Uniden this morning and talked with Reid (customer service rep) whom was very knowledgeable about the product. Couldn't come up with a solution over the phone, and decided to send it back to Texas. Not the first time for me, had to send the 536HP's back for recalls. Uniden handled those repairs with a return back to me within three weeks. can't ask for anymore ....

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Upman, hope you see this posting, talked with Reid (Cust Rep Uniden) makes it easy when your looking for help. Please extend my most sincere thanks for his help.

kb0iid

Premium Subscriber
Also having the flickering screen issue. Purchased on Amazon about two weeks ago. The problem is intermittent and annoying. Mine looks like narrow vertical lines throughout the whole screen. The vertical lines look like they are either pulsing or scrolling . Mine had the audio shield installed by the factory before i purchased new.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Also having the flickering screen issue. Purchased on Amazon about two weeks ago. The problem is intermittent and annoying. Mine looks like narrow vertical lines throughout the whole screen. The vertical lines look like they are either pulsing or scrolling . Mine had the audio shield installed by the factory before i purchased new.

Take advantage of Amazon's return policy and return it ASAP. There seems to be just a few effected by this problem. It took almost two months for mine to have the same symptoms as yours to appear. Sent mine back to Uniden on the 19th no word as of yet, status says item received.

Don't be discouraged with this scanner, all in all, still the best scanner ever!

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I received an email last evening stating the SDS200 has been repaired. Replaced Display and added the humm clip to the chassis. Scheduled to arrive Tuesday the 23rd.

kb0iid

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear that. Was hoping to hear it was a only a loose cable as was suggested. Thanks for your advice and encouragement. Sent mine back and ordered another which has been running great for the last two weeks now.
I received an email last evening stating the SDS200 has been repaired. Replaced Display and added the humm clip to the chassis. Scheduled to arrive Tuesday the 23rd.

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
Another gremlin in this SDS200... my display started the flickering dance this past week, as well - at the bottom of the display and impacting the SYSTEM/DEPT/CHANNEL line. Looks like this one is going in for repair.

-cognetic

UnidenSupport

Uniden Representative
Uniden Representative
Upman, hope you see this posting, talked with Reid (Cust Rep Uniden) makes it easy when your looking for help. Please extend my most sincere thanks for his help.
I'm not upman, but I let him know.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
- cosmetic quote;
Another gremlin in this SDS200... my display started the flickering dance this past week, as well - at the bottom of the display and impacting the SYSTEM/DEPT/CHANNEL line. Looks like this one is going in for repair.

-cognetic

My SDS200 has been working flawlessly since the repair!
DSC45

-Uniden Support quote;

Thank you!
DSC45

cognetic

Premium Subscriber
- cosmetic quote;
My SDS200 has been working flawlessly since the repair!
DSC45

-Uniden Support quote;
DSC45

That's great to hear!
I'm on my third SDS200 (after having to replace one) with hopes of updating several 536s for the past several months since launch. So far, none of the units have worked flawlessly. Still hopeful... pains of early adoption, I suppose. LOL

-cognetic

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
"cognetic, That's great to hear!
I'm on my third SDS200 (after having to replace one) with hopes of updating several 536s for the past several months since launch. So far, none of the units have worked flawlessly. Still hopeful... pains of early adoption, I suppose. LOL

-cognetic

I have two SDS200's and one SDS100 and all working beyond my expectations of the past x36hp's. My primary monitoring is P25 Conventional systems and 70 percent of the time and 30 percent 800 Smartzone System. I use the Global Filter (wide Auto) for the 800 system for best performance but slows down the scan rate. All my years of monitoring, all things considered, this has been the best.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
DSC45; I use the Global Filter (wide Auto) for the 800 system for best performance but slows down the scan rate. All my years of monitoring, all things considered, this has been the best.

In the previous post #17 I stated the Global Filter Setting was set to (Wide Auto), in error. My correct setting is (Wide Invert). The scanning rate is improved. Sorry.

Ubbe

What wide auto does are that it tries the normal and then the invert setting and tries to evaluate which ones are the best.
So you can speed up scan by going to your sites and first try wide normal and then wide invert to check which one gives best signal and less problem and program that setting to the site.

/Ubbe

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
[/QUOTE] "Ubbe" What wide auto does are that it tries the normal and then the invert setting and tries to evaluate which ones are the best.
So you can speed up scan by going to your sites and first try wide normal and then wide invert to check which one gives best signal and less problem and program that setting to the site.
/Ubbe[/QUOTE]

Good information here! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.