LCD Main DISP on CLMRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

P25andstuff

Hello, Does anyone know the TGRP ID/ Hex for LCD VHF disp cross-lay on CLMRN. This would help a-lot, thanks.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Already posted on 2 other CT threads. Hex is just a math thing.

MarkB513

Heard LCD Dispatch on the "A" System for the 1st time yesterday between 5:30-5:45. Must have been a unit affiliated with the system.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Dispatch should be active at all times, unless its only sometimes on the A site and constant on B and L, but I have been demoing a Unication G5 pager to monitor it, seems to work pretty well.

P25andstuff

Dispatch should be active at all times, unless its only sometimes on the A site and constant on B and L, but I have been demoing a Unication G5 pager to monitor it, seems to work pretty well.
Lol I was just about to respond, Yes the LCD TGRP is always active with a big thanks to @nhfdcadet. But Im not sure when they will stop using the main VHF system as CLMRN has ALOT of dead spots in rural areas where the VHF gets perfect cover.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Lol I was just about to respond, Yes the LCD TGRP is always active with a big thanks to @nhfdcadet. But Im not sure when they will stop using the main VHF system as CLMRN has ALOT of dead spots in rural areas where the VHF gets perfect cover.
VHF is here to stay for a long time.
Throughout the time I have had this unication demo, I have found several spots that it goes out of range, so as far as paging over CLMRN, not reliable. Another foreseeable problem is that the way the tones are programmed into the pager has tone ranges, so instead of programming in say 1472.9 and 855.5, you program it to 1453.2-1484.3 and 828.2-859.3, so for a place like LCD, where some of the tones are close together, and almost everybody has the same A tone (1472.9) it could become problematic.
For example, nepaug fire is 1472.9-553.9 and new hartford ambuance 2nd crew tone is 1472.9-569.1, analog pagers have a narrow enough tolerance that those two tones won't interfere with eachother, but if you programmed them into a unication pager, the B tone for both tones falls into the range of 546.9-578.1, so ultimately it wouldnt work for those two departments without one of them needing to change their tone

P25andstuff

So if I were to buy another APX, for just VHF I would be able to get a good 5-8 years out of it?

P25andstuff

Id say at least. Maybe even 10. I dont think LCD is ever going to force every department fully off of VHF.
Ok perfect! When they finally go to CLMRN even though it will be outdated in 10 years lol will scene channels go to CLMRN?

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Ok perfect! When they finally go to CLMRN even though it will be outdated in 10 years lol will scene channels go to CLMRN?
Im not sure that they'll ever have everyone fully on CLMRN, but fireground channels on trunking systems is a stupid thing that kills firefighters (imagine trying to call a mayday and getting bonked), IF they were to move away from the VHF scene channels, it would be wise to use conventional 7-800 channels

P25andstuff

Im not sure that they'll ever have everyone fully on CLMRN, but fireground channels on trunking systems is a stupid thing that kills firefighters (imagine trying to call a mayday and getting bonked), IF they were to move away from the VHF scene channels, it would be wise to use conventional 7-800 channels
Yes makes sense. I was told everyone is getting the APX8k XEs so they could just use old VHF scene channels.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Whether or not Litchfield County has any plans for a CLMRN transition or not, it will be a long time if it happens. There is not a lot of grant money for radios so either the towns would have to pay or the State will have to pay. With the COVID deficits that the various budgets will be seeing for years, asking the towns to pay $2500 to $8500 plus per radio plus all new pagers is not realistic.
There are a number of systems that use mobile repeaters to get the analog conventional fireground channels back into the trunk system. Nice for recording purposes and allowing incoming units to monitor traffic. More $$ though.

chris

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Yes makes sense. I was told everyone is getting the APX8k XEs so they could just use old VHF scene channels.

Waste of money in my opinion, I cant see any reason that the back seat fireman is going to need to have the state system in their radio for fireground use, they could just as easily get APX6000s for the truck portables and 8000s for the officers, and use a VRX system in the truck

Whether or not Litchfield County has any plans for a CLMRN transition or not, it will be a long time if it happens. There is not a lot of grant money for radios so either the towns would have to pay or the State will have to pay. With the COVID deficits that the various budgets will be seeing for years, asking the towns to pay $2500 to $8500 plus per radio plus all new pagers is not realistic.
There are a number of systems that use mobile repeaters to get the analog conventional fireground channels back into the trunk system. Nice for recording purposes and allowing incoming units to monitor traffic. More $$ though.

chris

yeah there is no way in hell the whole county is going to be able to switch all of their radios over to trunking anytime soon. Also as i said above, I cant see any reason for it, I don't think I have ever shown up on a call riding in back and needed to talk on dispatch at all.
So a VHF APX6000 would be fine for any non-officer radio, and that way, departments are able to stretch their grant a little bit farther, I know the 6000 is still pretty expensive, but less money than an 8000, and if you need it that bad, put a VRX in the truck with an 8500 mobile

P25andstuff

Waste of money in my opinion, I cant see any reason that the back seat fireman is going to need to have the state system in their radio for fireground use, they could just as easily get APX6000s for the truck portables and 8000s for the officers, and use a VRX system in the truck

yeah there is no way in hell the whole county is going to be able to switch all of their radios over to trunking anytime soon. Also as i said above, I cant see any reason for it, I don't think I have ever shown up on a call riding in back and needed to talk on dispatch at all.
So a VHF APX6000 would be fine for any non-officer radio, and that way, departments are able to stretch their grant a little bit farther, I know the 6000 is still pretty expensive, but less money than an 8000, and if you need it that bad, put a VRX in the truck with an 8500 mobile
Yeah, its not going to be cheap. But another issue is, How much longer are the HT/CDM1250s gonna run for. I get that they are still running to this day. But they will only last for so much longer seeming how Moto has canceled all parts, and they are almost 30 years old. So I heard that New Hartford is thinking about going kenwood, but they seem more set on the more expensive Motorola. Its gonna be a interesting one.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, its not going to be cheap. But another issue is, How much longer are the HT/CDM1250s gonna run for. I get that they are still running to this day. But they will only last for so much longer seeming how Moto has canceled all parts, and they are almost 30 years old. So I heard that New Hartford is thinking about going kenwood, but they seem more set on the more expensive Motorola. Its gonna be a interesting one.
HTs will continue to last, motorola makes great radios and when theyre taken care of, for the most part they last decades, i mean hell, there are still people using HT1000s out there

P25andstuff

HTs will continue to last, motorola makes great radios and when theyre taken care of, for the most part they last decades, i mean hell, there are still people using HT1000s out there
Oh yeah I believe that, My astro Saber still works like a champ lol. But try to keep that CLMRN talkgroup active as long as possible, because I like only bringing one radio (My apx2000) for SP and LCD.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Just to back up NHFDCADET here, there is a standard (NFPA or OSHA, I don't remember which or if its both) that all fireground / tactical operations should analog simplex operations only, no digital modualtion, mobile or fixed repeaters / trunked systems and or combination should be used. There have been too many instances and close calls were the radio communications for a mayday failed and were not heard. There are plenty of NIOSH reports on this as well as the recommendations published. Digital modulation with either a repeated or trunked system are fine for normal communications (normal no fireground ops and admin).

Status
Not open for further replies.