LCD on CLMRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanner404

Feed Provider
Is Litchfield County Dispatch now digital on the state's CLMRN system? Can we still hear them on the old analog system?

Last edited:

Reconrider

They are simulcasting to Clmrn from the old system. I don’t they’ll be moving full time to Clmrn

cg

Premium Subscriber
I would think it as a patch rather than simulcasting. Any radio heard at LCD on either the analog VHF or digital TRS is transmitted to the other. There are some who are using LCD via the trunk system, including chief officers using the issued DEMHS portables or Region 5 radios.

chris

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes I use the VHF, sometimes I use the state, depends on the day, CG is correct it is patched, so whichever one goes in, comes out the other. I have my pager on the state system probably 99.9% of the time, my VHF pager stays home. It works pretty well, theres a few dead spots with any system

P25andstuff

Yep both are active and the VHF is here to stay due to lack of grants etc. But then again CLMRN doesn't have best coverage unlike LCDs VHF. The command 3 talk group is by affiliation so it is not in use 24/7 unlike Dispatch 1 (Thanks to nhfdcadet).

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
LCD dispatch is located at theTorrington FD HQ. at least that’s where I see an antenna structure that I believe is used for both CLMRN and the separate VHF frequencies assigned to county FD’s. Next door to HQ is the old firehouse, now a brewery, that sells specialty brews. The brewery has a fire dept theme, complete with some old (defunct) wheeled CO2 fire extinguishers scattered about, other assorted fire gear and an old fire truck. I thought if the fire truck could emit fire calls it would add a sense of realism to the establishment… nothing too loud, just enough volume that could be heard when close to the truck. To that end, with permission from the owner, I took an old Uniden BCD780XLT scanner and programmed into it most all the VHF frequencies. It played nicely from my home in Farmington. (Some frequencies were not exact but I figured it wouldn’t make a difference being literally next door to LCD’s transmitting site. But when I plugged it in at the bar I got nothing using the stock telescoping antenna. I left the scanner with the owner as I was only there for about an hour and asked him to listen for calls after I left. It’s been about a month now and I haven’t heard back from the owner but I’ve made a note to visit soon and check it out. The owner was going to run an extension cord for power and place the scanner in the cab of the fire truck (or hide it somewhere on the truck and use an extension speaker placed in the cab… there was a concern the scanner might disappear). I shouldn’t doubt the scanner, as I was only there for that hour but since I heard nothing, I have become suspicious of the scanner… or my understanding of LCD. Is the scanner bad or was it simply a case of there were no transmissions? Can anyone advise if my understanding of how LCD works is correct? Do they transmit the VHF stuff from Torrington FD HQ? Or, am I looking at an antenna structure that only uses microwave linking out to other VHF sites where the actual VHF transmission emanate from? I would think the scanner should have heard something… (I can’t remember if I tried to pick up the NWS continuous transmissions while I was there and prove to myself the scanner was operating correctly.)

When I revisit the pub I plan on taking a Uniden BCD996XT with the VHF frequencies programmed into it and a Uniden SDS100 with LCD’s CLMRN programming and listen for the “patch” CG mentions.

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
LCD dispatch is located at theTorrington FD HQ. at least that’s where I see an antenna structure that I believe is used for both CLMRN and the separate VHF frequencies assigned to county FD’s. Next door to HQ is the old firehouse, now a brewery, that sells specialty brews. The brewery has a fire dept theme, complete with some old (defunct) wheeled CO2 fire extinguishers scattered about, other assorted fire gear and an old fire truck. I thought if the fire truck could emit fire calls it would add a sense of realism to the establishment… nothing too loud, just enough volume that could be heard when close to the truck. To that end, with permission from the owner, I took an old Uniden BCD780XLT scanner and programmed into it most all the VHF frequencies. It played nicely from my home in Farmington. (Some frequencies were not exact but I figured it wouldn’t make a difference being literally next door to LCD’s transmitting site. But when I plugged it in at the bar I got nothing using the stock telescoping antenna. I left the scanner with the owner as I was only there for about an hour and asked him to listen for calls after I left. It’s been about a month now and I haven’t heard back from the owner but I’ve made a note to visit soon and check it out. The owner was going to run an extension cord for power and place the scanner in the cab of the fire truck (or hide it somewhere on the truck and use an extension speaker placed in the cab… there was a concern the scanner might disappear). I shouldn’t doubt the scanner, as I was only there for that hour but since I heard nothing, I have become suspicious of the scanner… or my understanding of LCD. Is the scanner bad or was it simply a case of there were no transmissions? Can anyone advise if my understanding of how LCD works is correct? Do they transmit the VHF stuff from Torrington FD HQ? Or, am I looking at an antenna structure that only uses microwave linking out to other VHF sites where the actual VHF transmission emanate from? I would think the scanner should have heard something… (I can’t remember if I tried to pick up the NWS continuous transmissions while I was there and prove to myself the scanner was operating correctly.)

When I revisit the pub I plan on taking a Uniden BCD996XT with the VHF frequencies programmed into it and a Uniden SDS100 with LCD’s CLMRN programming and listen for the “patch” CG mentions.
from there you should definitely be picking up something from the soapstone hill site. unless the building is enough to block it out, which it could be, but I have heard LCD on a portable from inside of LCD.
Could have just been that nothing was going on too, there are long periods of silence sometimes on the county system too.

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
if you are in Farmington....Look at RR database. and you will see 2 Freq. I think 1 and 2 have simulcasts. they broadcast from Avon Mtn (Montevideo Rd) at 3 watts I believe. I receive freq one disp perfect. no repeater so I dont get mobile units. never got anything on freq 2 that I can recall. Might be scanner mountain blocking that scanner. on CLMNR I get both dispatch and mobile units usually on Troop L Simulcast. Hope that helps. Sometimes yes silence, but sometimes real busy.

p.s. they do have transmitters in other locations RR has them listed but since the mountain is right near me this is the only two I would receive. I cant even get Avon FD at my home.

Alec
N1AJW

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
if you are in Farmington....Look at RR database. and you will see 2 Freq. I think 1 and 2 have simulcasts. they broadcast from Avon Mtn (Montevideo Rd) at 3 watts I believe. I receive freq one disp perfect. no repeater so I dont get mobile units. never got anything on freq 2 that I can recall. Might be scanner mountain blocking that scanner. on CLMNR I get both dispatch and mobile units usually on Troop L Simulcast. Hope that helps. Sometimes yes silence, but sometimes real busy.

p.s. they do have transmitters in other locations RR has them listed but since the mountain is right near me this is the only two I would receive. I cant even get Avon FD at my home.

Alec
N1AJW
Thanks Alec, good info. I’m not exactly sure how Avon uses two sites, one for coverage on the east side and the other for the west side, whether it’s just for units in the field accessing the system and they manually switch between sites, or use a comparator or voting system where the strongest signal coming into both sites is the one passed along, but for that matter, I don’t even know where dispatch transmits from, if they choose which site to use or have another site used solely for dispatch transmissions. But I’m almost in Bristol and have no trouble hearing them. It could be that I just happen to be within that valley between Avon Mtn and the next ridge to the west so I don’t have any ridge lines blocking me. But Avon is exploring their options concerning a new comms system, they already have a favorable vote from the townspeople to buy a trunked system but there was some reconsidering when one of the existing sites (located in and owned by the town of Canton) could not be improved. Canton declined their request to increase the height of the antenna. But you probably know this. I’m still waiting to hear which way Avon will go… if they have made up their mind yet… anybody got a line on this?

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Alec, good info. I’m not exactly sure how Avon uses two sites, one for coverage on the east side and the other for the west side, whether it’s just for units in the field accessing the system and they manually switch between sites, or use a comparator or voting system where the strongest signal coming into both sites is the one passed along, but for that matter, I don’t even know where dispatch transmits from, if they choose which site to use or have another site used solely for dispatch transmissions. But I’m almost in Bristol and have no trouble hearing them. It could be that I just happen to be within that valley between Avon Mtn and the next ridge to the west so I don’t have any ridge lines blocking me. But Avon is exploring their options concerning a new comms system, they already have a favorable vote from the townspeople to buy a trunked system but there was some reconsidering when one of the existing sites (located in and owned by the town of Canton) could not be improved. Canton declined their request to increase the height of the antenna. But you probably know this. I’m still waiting to hear which way Avon will go… if they have made up their mind yet… anybody got a line on this?
Avon field units need to manually switch between the 3 towers

awasser1

Premium Subscriber
manually switching especially for the police doesn't sound efficient. You pretty much nailed it all. Haven't heard any new info lately. Some towns are stubborn they dont want to share with others even though it makes the cost significantly lower. In many other parts of the country towns/cities seem to band together more. Here in New England well you can guess the rest.

Alec
N1AJW

nhfdcadet

Premium Subscriber
manually switching especially for the police doesn't sound efficient. You pretty much nailed it all. Haven't heard any new info lately. Some towns are stubborn they dont want to share with others even though it makes the cost significantly lower. In many other parts of the country towns/cities seem to band together more. Here in New England well you can guess the rest.

Alec
N1AJW
It was said on another thread here within the last month or so, it’s all about control. They want to be in control of their stuff and that’s one of the huge hurdles toward regionalization.

I agree “poor mans simulcast” is not a good solution for anything, just a way to shave dollars from the project. 3 repeaters with the same pair and a different pl on the input. God forbid there’s a life or death situation and the call for help goes over the wrong tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.